Paying your dues at the Licensing Department

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User121314

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was fined a little while ago for having an expired license disc as we no longer receive renewal notifications. My protestations to the JMPD orifice that I never got tested on the K53 as I'm too old fell upon deaf ears  :ROFLMAO:, so today we had a gap & I sent one of our drivers to the licensing department to renew our vehicle licenses - company vehicles, mine & the wife's. Whatever is outstanding / overdue plus bring all of them up to current - so renew early on some of them. That way they all fall due at the same time instead of 1 or 2 every bloody month.

Wife's was easy - overdue by 9 months (surely there's a pun in there) so with fees, penalties & whatnot it was just under R2k.
Need to fill in a form, copy of ID and copy of proof of residence.

Company vehicles also easy - except they need a form for every vehicle, plus copy of Company doc, plus copy of responsible person ID plus proof of address - for every freaking vehicle. All done, was just under R21k. Gulp. Went to the bank, drew the cash & accompanied him to the licensing department. Company vehicles sorted & will now all expire end October each year.

On to mine. Bakkie is easy - form, ID, proof of residence. Ditto for the car, luggage trailer, bike trailer & motorbike. But wait. There's more. I say nope, no more. Oh but there is sir. 3 x motorbikes & 1 x bike trailer. Still on my name. Nope, I always submit the change of ownership documents when I sell. Send driver back with copies - stamped by the licensing department. Tough shit. They haven't bothered to capture the change. 1 bike sold in 2011. 1 sold in 2012. 1 sold in 2014. Trailer sold in 2012. Every single one is still registered in my name. Bikes were all dirt bikes, so being licensed isn't an issue for the new owners as it's not necessary. Only reason they were registered was because the original owners financed them & the finance house insists they are on eNatis. Trailer I sold to a now ex friend who moved to the Cape in 2012 & needed a trailer to take his bike down & get it to the track when he was there as he used to catch a lift with me up in Jhb. 530d. I have records of the bikes, but none of the trailer. Upshot - I can't renew any of the licenses.

It was much easier when we received notifications. Take it & renew at the post office. Done & dusted. Now, with all the forms and palava it's a freaking nightmare.

I can confidently say that I probably paid the equivalent of the counter staff salaries at Sandton Licensing today. And we'll be back again tomorrow. I fucking hate bureaucracy.