Password protection on an old EPROM

Den123

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Older guys.
Remember the old 27C128 range of EPROMS? Has anyone heard of password protection on these devices?
I didn't think it was possible.

DACMan1

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I don't see that mentioned in any datasheets. How do you know it is password protected?

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
They only mention code protection, which is usually an option you configure when you blow the firmware. There should be more info on this in the application data book/doc, because there is nothing else in the data sheet.

Den123

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
My mate needs to copy one and his electronic chap says it is password protected.

marantz123

AVForums Super Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
Den123 said:
Hi Older guys.
Remember the old 27C128 range of EPROMS? Has anyone heard of password protection on these devices?
I didn't think it was possible.

I repaired and programmed cash registers (Olivetti/Uniwell range) many moons ago and regularly wiped and reprogrammed eproms (the SGS Thomson 27C128s /256s) for these machines over a few years and recall the software program running on the terminal had a comprehensive menu.. Very possibly password protection was a feature on there. We never used it though. Get hold of any cash register repair business, their techs will advise if password protection is on there and if theres a way around it. These machines are still in use today, so you will have some luck. I think it may be a user-programmed password though. Try scratching around for some documentation from SGS Thomson, might just find something.
Keep that little glass window covered (with a label/sticker) Exposure to UV for long enough will erase the data on there if left uncovered.