Need help to setup Denon AVR X3400H

chrisd

AVForums Member
Reaction score
  Bought a used unit and was this morning attempting to set it up.It seems that the phone app does not have all the functions of the ir remote but in any event using mainly the remote I have updated firmware but when I try to setting up surround sound it goes through the speaker setup and feedback but at the final stage,the message "Error" is displayed on the AVR sctreen.Also dont seem able to get an on screen (TV)display and unfortunately the instruction manuals were not supplied.  Please help with how I go about setting up this unit.

JoziNic

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Chris I will drop you a WhatsApp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BiZKiT

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
chrisd said:
  Bought a used unit and was this morning attempting to set it up.It seems that the phone app does not have all the functions of the ir remote but in any event using mainly the remote I have updated firmware but when I try to setting up surround sound it goes through the speaker setup and feedback but at the final stage,the message "Error" is displayed on the AVR sctreen.Also dont seem able to get an on screen (TV)display and unfortunately the instruction manuals were not supplied.  Please help with how I go about setting up this unit.

I hope you did not buy that one with no remote,mic or anything?that was a dodge unit.

chrisd

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi Morne, this has an ir remote and Audissey mike. The Android app for the Denon does not seem to have the same functionality as the ir remote,but I'm not familiar with Denon products.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

FranZAR

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Reaction score
The Android "Denon 2016 AVR Remote" App does pretty much everything the IR remote does.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

chrisd

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I'll have another look at the app. Is the AVR relatively slow to respond to changes in settings? ( compared to a cellphone for example)

BiZKiT

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
chrisd said:
Thanks for that, I'll have another look at the app. Is the AVR relatively slow to respond to changes in settings? ( compared to a cellphone for example)

Depends on what you are use to. The 3400H is a bit of a older unit.

FranZAR

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Reaction score
BiZKiT said:
Depends on what you are use to. The 3400H is a bit of a older unit.
I use the App with a 4400H without any issues.

BiZKiT

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
FranZAR said:
I use the App with a 4400H without any issues.

In being slower to respond then the newer unit that is.

chrisd

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Many thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.A very big thank you to JoziNic who came to my house and did the setup for me.What a gent.The ir remote is no problem if one understands the thinking behind it.Better than the Android App in my opinion.Now I have a superb sounding system for TV.
One issue which I seem to share with some others is why o why the manufacturers of TV's and Receivers build so little intelligence into their units so its a mission to get the units to Plug and Play (which they do not).It only took Microsoft about 40 years to get from MSDOS to Windows 11 and Plug and Play has only worked from about Windows XP.