My Start into Tube Integrated - Willsenton R8

Sound_Hound_SA

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I recently picked up a Willsenton R8 and will be bringing in a few more, great amp!!! So far had them paired with my LS50 Meta's and was quite surprised, will be pairing them to some Lintons and Kef R3s soon.

Just wanted to know where do you guys source tubes from ? Would like to do some tube rolling. I know Russia has stopped export on tubes but surely there are other avenues

Sound_Hound_SA

AVForums Member
Reaction score
johan.pretorius said:
Charles on the forum ([member=2759]charles[/member]) should be able to help, otherwise contact John at Tone Tubes

https://www.tonetubes.co.za/

Thanks bud will try the above

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Locally: I second [member=2759]charles[/member] and you can also try [member=2569]Kent Kassler[/member]

Import: I second Tubedepot https://www.tubedepot.com and also try www.thetubestore.com
I have purchased loads of tubes from eBay. (Most of my tubes actually - I really enjoy looking for gems on eBay)

Not one bad experience from any of the above vendors. (I have a drawer full of tubes)

KNL

AVForums Member
Reaction score
johan.pretorius said:
Charles on the forum ([member=2759]charles[/member]) should be able to help, otherwise contact John at Tone Tubes

https://www.tonetubes.co.za/

Another vote for Charles..

Sound_Hound_SA

AVForums Member
Reaction score
@Sound_Hound_SA How is it going with the Willsenton R8? Did you manage to try it with the Lintons?
Hi @audiounphile yes I briefly had the Lintons for two weeks and had a customer demo them and scoop them up... But they sound amazing on the Lintons. I did change the qaud tubes to EH EL34s and immediately notice the Harshness disappear.... So happy with those I also purchased some new 6SN7 and 6SL7 tubes which I have not rolled as yet

But sound great on my LS50S thus far. Happy with the amplifier so far

audiounphile

Reaction score
Hi @audiounphile yes I briefly had the Lintons for two weeks and had a customer demo them and scoop them up... But they sound amazing on the Lintons. I did change the qaud tubes to EH EL34s and immediately notice the Harshness disappear.... So happy with those I also purchased some new 6SN7 and 6SL7 tubes which I have not rolled as yet

But sound great on my LS50S thus far. Happy with the amplifier so far
Eish… I’m on the slope again… looking for something warm as a second system… currently running a purifi based amp with a pair of MA silver 500s … extremely revealing and transparent but sometimes feels clinical… hoping the Lintons with a tube amp can give that old school sound as a second system…. Let’s see how long I can hold out at the top of the slope…

Sound_Hound_SA

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Eish… I’m on the slope again… looking for something warm as a second system… currently running a purifi based amp with a pair of MA silver 500s … extremely revealing and transparent but sometimes feels clinical… hoping the Lintons with a tube amp can give that old school sound as a second system…. Let’s see how long I can hold out at the top of the slope…
I have the silver 500s too, but 7G series. I prefer the KEF LS50 paired with the Willsenton R8

fredeb

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have matched quads of Soviet era (not new production)NOS 6P3S and NOS 6P3S-E available for sale if you're interested @Sound_Hound_SA .

I prefer the sound of these Ruskie 6L6's in any of my EL34 amps Beam tetrode vs Pentode . Beam tetrode is manner of side-stepping Philips/Mullards patent .

The Beam Tetrode

On the Non-Equivalence of Beam-Tetrodes and Pentodes

In fact , if you inspect them properly , you might find that many new production EL34 and EL84 are indeed Beam Tetrodes , KT77's are "Kinkless Tetrodes" - KT .

HOTaljaard

AVForums Member
Reaction score
If you really seek the old school sound why not look at a vintage tube amp? I suspect modern tube amps does not really posses the "warm" sound. I might be wrong, but thats what im finding.