My speaker farted !!!

Burzat

AVForums Member
Reaction score
It was the most shocking , disgusting sounds I have ever heard out of these speakers. Akin to Gal Gadot sitting in front of you and lifting her thigh slightly and ripping one off........Lol.....  yes, shocking and disturbing...........Lol

Was watching Aquaman on Blu Ray. And that movie hits some serious LFE. All my speakers are set to large. The underwater scene with the whales passing by and the low end is deep, almost subsonic deep.......then suddenly I heard it. .......lol ........Frrrrt.......LOL...........

The next day I played some music and it was like perfect.

But I look at me set of speakers in different light these days........ :ROFLMAO:

Orcish75

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
:giggle:

Sounds like the sub bottomed out. Just don't push it any harder otherwise there might be muddy effects from the flared port.

CAD

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
KenMasters said:
Set the speakers to small and let you sub/s do their job?

+1 some good advice there which should eliminate the flatulence and protect your speakers

Burzat

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice noted.

Watched Christopher Nolans Interstellar last night. I dont run my AV receiver hard. My reference volume on the AVR is -24. Its not loud. At this volume I can tell if a movie sountrachk is recorded low , medium or high.I find, Disney, Marvel , Star Wars sound tracks as low.

In general Nolans movies are recorded high. So at my reference volume it is loud. And Interstellar hits the lows. Not as low as Aquaman but a low relentless rumble.

No issues with the speakers.

I have it set to large because to my ear the sound is much fuller.

I will give Aquaman a go tonight again. Lets see what happens.

Burzat

AVForums Member
Reaction score
...on a side note. At -24 I dont get any flack from the Mrs. Even at night when she is sleeping and I am watching a movie.

If I go beyond this point. Then for sure she will tell me to lower the volume or to put that damn thing off....... :ticked:

kamikazi

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Set your speakers to small and lower try a lower crossover frequency if you want a fuller sound. Generally its not that great for the LFE to go through your main speakers since overloading these can be bad for the health of your speakers, so rather let the sub take care of that. If you don't have enough rumble get a larger sub or try augmenting it with another sub.

Burzat

AVForums Member
Reaction score
At themoment the x over is at 80. What will be better for a fuller sound if I set the speakers t small?

kamikazi said:
Set your speakers to small and lower try a lower crossover frequency if you want a fuller sound. Generally its not that great for the LFE to go through your main speakers since overloading these can be bad for the health of your speakers, so rather let the sub take care of that. If you don't have enough rumble get a larger sub or try augmenting it with another sub.

Burzat

AVForums Member
Reaction score
:giggle:

Ingvar Ahlberg said:
Are You sure it was not Dolph Lundgren who actually farted in the movie? We Sweedes are known for such excesses/behaviour.

Ingvar

Avian

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Burzat said:
At themoment the x over is at 80. What will be better for a fuller sound if I set the speakers t small?

Bit late here, but if you set the crossover lower, you will get more of "the sound that your speakers make" at the moment. At the moment they play all the regular sound they should, PLUS all the LFE (low frequency effects) sound that should only be played by a sub. Some movies have extreme LFE tracks (Tron, Aquaman, Day After Tomorrow, Bladerunner 2049 to name a few) and almost all if not all normal speakers would not be able to produce that sound without distortion, which is what you heard, BAD distortion.

So crossover at 80 is a good start and best for most people, but your sub may not be doing what it can if it sounds thin. You could look into improving that as one approach. The other is to lower the crossover to 60 or 40. It's usually not advised, but at your listening level the speakers should manage... mostly. So likely there is a null at 40-80Hz that the sub isn't filling, and you need the mains to fill it in.

But even crossover at 40 will take massive strain off the mains and amp. Also make sure Dynamic EQ is set to ON (That what Denon and Marantz calls it), it increases the loudness of low frequencies as you listen at softer volumes. The way your ear / brain perceives bass requires this compensation for the bass to sound just as full at low volume as it did at higher volumes. The other settings to "limit bass travelling through walls" and decreasing dynamic range etc, should be off. They'll just about choke your sub to death, just decreasing low frequency output dramatically.

Hope it helps!