My Solar install

Sarel.wagner

Reaction score
Family dog asked about my Solar install, so here we go with some pics:
Single phase with 32kWh BYD battery banks
2 x Victron Quattro 8K Inverters in parallel.
30 Panels on the roof.
There is a complete build thread on Energytalk form about this and some other stuff.
firstspv.jpg PVComp.jpg photo_2022-04-06 08.41.00.jpeg photo_2022-04-06 08.41.03.jpeg 2x2pack.jpg
The battery bank was doubled from this size, now 8 units in total. Should add a 3rd bank with 2 more units soon. 16kW dual Quattro inverters, 30 panels in 3 strings. I string with 6 panels on a MPPT charge controller directly charging the battery bank. 10 Panels on one string and 14 Panels on second string going to the Fronius Gridtie inverter, and no it's not on the grid :) This is a Micro Grid system with ESS. Still connected to the Utility grid but via the Quattro's, the Fronius is connected to the Quattro OUTPUT. (All my loads are essential ;) )

Will post a few more pics if you want.

Groetnis

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This does interest me, I am using a imilar, but smaller, set up that is working very nicely.

What I have:

1 x Victron Quattro 8kW Inverter
2 x Victron MPPT 100A Controllers
1 x Victron Cerbo Interface Unit
20 x JA 455W Solar Panels
8 x Pylontech 5kW Batteries.

My original planning was to simply replace two aging AGM 12v Batteries (8 years old) that were running a 1500W Pure Sine Wave Inverter for use during load-shedding, this unit was used to supply power to my PC, TV, decoder, a few LED lights. But the plan sort of grew, and grew, and grew... and now powers the whole house except for the geyser which has its own solar setup. I enjoy the solar setup as much as I enjoy my own vintage gear :)

Phase 1:

This 4-battery and 10-panel system worked very well, but doubling up on everything works so much better:

Phase 2:

I'm trying not to think of Phase 3... !

-F_D

Attachments

• Solar Panels 001.jpg
    Solar Panels 001.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 0

dkronie

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Family dog asked about my Solar install, so here we go with some pics:
Single phase with 32kWh BYD battery banks
2 x Victron Quattro 8K Inverters in parallel.
30 Panels on the roof.
There is a complete build thread on Energytalk form about this and some other stuff.
View attachment 11363 View attachment 11364 View attachment 11367 View attachment 11368 View attachment 11369
The battery bank was doubled from this size, now 8 units in total. Should add a 3rd bank with 2 more units soon. 16kW dual Quattro inverters, 30 panels in 3 strings. I string with 6 panels on a MPPT charge controller directly charging the battery bank. 10 Panels on one string and 14 Panels on second string going to the Fronius Gridtie inverter, and no it's not on the grid :) This is a Micro Grid system with ESS. Still connected to the Utility grid but via the Quattro's, the Fronius is connected to the Quattro OUTPUT. (All my loads are essential ;) )

Will post a few more pics if you want.

Groetnis
Clever how the 2 inverters are joined to the batteries by the Lynx distributor end points

Gerlach

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Family_Dog System is lekker big now!!! I still want to add more storage and panels for my setup. Got a extra 250/100 mppt 2 weeks ago to add to the other 2. It's like a hobby now, it never stops :ROFLMAO:

Sarel.wagner

Reaction score
Lots of redesign to optimise, it started as this:
698A835D-EE3B-4EBF-874F-110D05AC1B24.png
Phase 1

AB0010AD-FB65-48EF-914A-F70F67727066.jpeg
This was the final design, currently 2 of the 3 battery towers installed, both Quattros and 1 Fronius. The importance of short battery cables cannot be underestimated. My current bank can supply 500 Amps at 48 Volts.

groetnis

Attachments

• 12A7E404-4F51-4372-A7ED-FA87D4AD64E6.jpeg
    12A7E404-4F51-4372-A7ED-FA87D4AD64E6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My business partner is busy enhancing his system when complete he will have 6 x Victron Multiplus Inverters, 32 x Pylontech 50v 5kW batteries, 40 x 455w Solar Panels. Quite a little power house but his intention is to go completely off-grid and run his farm purely on solar. Half of his installation is complete but he is still busy with the planned expansion.

It is very overcast today so the panels are not really performing well, Rain (in Winter!!) is forecast for tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how the system copes with this weather.

-F_D

greatwhite

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Nice setups, both!

@Family_Dog - sound like quite an 'enhancement' your business partner is going for.

WRT your comment about rain and winter: What are you guys using (if anything) to hook in a genset for said days when the burning ball of fire in the sky is hiding behind the clouds?

I posted on Power Forum - Renewable Energy Discussion and drew a bit of a blank, so this is a bit of a hail Mary.

I have a pair of 8kw Sunsynk units, where once paralleled, hooking in a small generator (5kVA in my case) for said raining days is essentially not an option and was looking at an external widget to charge the batteries independently.

Sarel.wagner

Reaction score
In my case I do have a Genset 6kW (8kVA) that I can hook up to the Quattros. They can manage this quite easily and I can control them not to overload the Genset. The other alternative (well kinda) is an external battery charger, but good luck with that.

I use the Utility and set that to charge batteries if required. This I control manually. It was raining earlier and is mostly overcast, so on average I harvest 10-20% of normal Solar energy. With the blackouts (2 x for me today) I use the Inverter to assist charging my banks on top of what little Solar it gets.

Groetnis

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As Sarel says, the Quattro can automatically start a Genset. I have never bothered with this though, although I have a 7.5kW Automatic start Genset available. If load shedding becomes ridiculous and the ball in the sky retires in sympathy, I can do so without too much hassle.

-F_D

Gerlach

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
@greatwhite same this side like the other guys. I got a 6kw as backup but never used it really before. It's there for when the "poef" really hits the fan. So far with our rainy days in cape town my 35kwh storage worked good. I want to add a nother 10kwh storage on that just for incase and another 2.5kw on my 10kw array on the north side.

Oooooo yes, join energytalk.co.za , you will get way more better responds from there. Lekker bunch of guys there. Sarel is there to.

Last edited:

zer0

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I've also had my 12kVA genset before I recently switched to solar. It's still there as backup for an absolute worse case scenario, but with bypass switches at both genset and inverter side.
It gives me the option of charging the batteries or bypassing the inverter and powering the house directly.

Sarel.wagner

Reaction score
I need more battery capacity. Level 6 of blackouts are upon us it seems. I need to add at least 12 more usable (16kWh raw) kWh to my current. Sigh...

Groetnis

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My word, what an impressive setup!

Me thinks, looking at my small 1.2Kw battery backup system, that you can probably run half a street for a 2-hour load-shedding cycle.
It seems to me backup power systems are deep rabbit holes too, just like audio ... let me see what is for sale on Aliexpress. 😱

Sarel.wagner

Reaction score
Thank you Sire. It is indeed another rabbit hole of considerable depth. Unforgiving tho as in Solar ststems there are high voltages. My panel string generate almost 600V DC at about 1 Amps, big sparks and life threatning, even worse than valve amps. The battery system in my setup at 53 Volts, can generate close to 10 000 Ampere should a short happen. Also deadly!

Groetnis