Monkey Bizz With my Computer since Sunday

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something strange is happening when booting up since Sunday.

I run Windoos XP Professional and use Outlook Express for mail. I have no more 'paid for' antivirus software as I got gatvol with all of them (Norton, panda etc) for continuous spamming about renewals months before my subscription ends.

Anyway, when booting up, the computer snorts and f@rts and eventually I get all my icons displayed on the left of the screen. Invariably, I go to Outlook Express to check mail and thereafter to the internet to do a bit of reading and stirring here :angel:

Seconds after the thing is booted up and just before I click on Outlook Express, a folder filling my whole screen pops up. The folder name is "Documents'. I have indeed a folder with a similar title but not quite - the folder I created a long time ago is "My Documents".

Reading through the individual files in the folder, I recognise most of them.

I tried moving this unwelcome "Documents" folder elsewhere but the damned thing still pops up - only on booting up. The rest of the day my computer stays booted and this problem doesn't occur again until the start of the next day.

In order to clear the problem, I tried resoring to a previous date several times selecting different restore points but each time, at the end of the exercise, I get a message "Restore incomplete".

The next thing I tried was a defrag but here the reply is "No defragmentation needed".

I also tried Windoos' disc cleanup" which was completed normally but this also didn't help.

Lastly, I did a full AVG scan but nothing untoward was picked up. I don't do dicey sites and I'm too old for Linux, btw.

Can anyone please help finding a solution to this problem?

Thanks

mafioso

Latest posts