Media PC, new mobo and audio / HDMI issues

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma_2k4

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good morning all,

Recently, the mobo on my media PC / server died so I replaced it with a new one. I bought an ASRock board and set up the whole shebang.

My media PC is basically the board above + a core i3, 8 gigs RAM (dual channel) and a Radeon HD5670 graphics card doing the graphics and audio processing, sending the audio via HDMI cable to my amp (Onkyo NR707). I have a SSD running the OS + software (Windooze 7 Pro + Kodi) and some hard drives for content storage (Music, movies and TV).

When I first setup the machine, I installed windooze, then I inserted the CD provided with the mobo and installed the various drivers (LAN, Onboard Audio, chipset, USB drivers, etc). There after I did a whole whack of Windows (and driver updates) and also installed Kodi, Spotify, etc. Everything worked fine and I was getting audio via HDMI to the amp, although, it was only playing it as 2 channel audio. My missus and I watched a bunch of series that night and everything was OK.

Whilst we were watching series, I downloaded the ATI Catalyst update and I installed that after were done watching TV, and went to bed.

The next day, no audio via HDMI. I have fiddled with it immensely and I also cannot get any sound via the HDMI at all (although video is fine). When in the sound settings in windows, it keeps telling me that the HDMI audio device is in use (when I try configure or do a sound test).

I've reinstalled / removed both sets of drivers (ie, the onboard VIA HD Audio and and ATI Catalyst drivers). Nothing changes. Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be or what I can do to try and resolve this?

Latest posts