Late model refrigeration - questions

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are modern fridges different from old-school types?

I recently bought a side-by-side fridge/freezer from one of those scratch & dent outlets. The unit is visibly new with a declared defective icemaker. They had a few of these and I chose one that had the least scuffing, with the prospect of me being able to fix the icemaker at a later stage. However, I noticed that the unit was hardly cooling. I put a bowl of water into each of the compartments - fridge and freezer. After a couple of hours the water in both was cool; the freezer side's being cooler. I was intent on calling the shop today to tell them that the thing was faulty but, after tracking down the user manual of a similar model, I had second thoughts. That and the fact that the water in the freezer had actually frozen overnight.

One of my first observations of this fridge is that it runs very quiet. It advertises itself as having "inverter technology". The next significant observation is the implicit way in which the user manual tells the user to expect longer process times. Like give the unit 24 hours to reach full operating temperature. It has an eco mode (which I am not interested in right now) and then it has accelerated (my terminology) modes for each side. The product seems to use very little power and I am of the opinion that their normal operating mode is actually standard eco and that their eco mode is a super-eco mode, while their accelerated mode is just old-school level cooling.

I still don't know if the fridge is faulty or if it just has low "cooling power" due to low-power design. Tonight I'll stick a thermometer into it and get some objective info.

Thoughts?

Latest posts