It works - using Cat 8 cable instead of Cat 5 or Cat5e

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I must admit I got a fright when reading about Pierre's suggestion for an upgraded Ethernet switch.  Figures of ?500 were mentioned, plus a 52-week lead time

I have always been suspicious of Cat5 cable for connecting my PC which contains the music hard disc plus JRiver media server, to a Limetree bridge

Now the Limetree does both wired and wireless networking.  The wireless router is in the same room, not 3m away.  Then I read some articles about using superior ethernet switches coupled with power conditioners, all well and good, but none cheap

Then my (last of the big spenders) friend in Canada told me that he had transformed his system (his words) by substituting Cat5 cable with Cat8

Obviously you don't need the blazing speed offered by Cat8 cable, but the cable construction and integrity of the Cat8 version RJ45 plugs is very attractive

For an investment of a paltry R550 I obtained a 0,5m lead (PC to switch) and 8m lead (switch to bridge)

Gone is the faint "growl" I could hear and more precise imaging.  To check that the glass of Pinotage was not the cause, I put the Cat5 back.  This made me think of some of the interviews being done on TV with Olympic athletes speaking with their masks on.  Of course many of these cannot speak English too well

I hope you get the idea

dU5Wj6e.jpg