Introductions Thread

cam083gp

Reaction score
Hi there, i'm Cameron from the West of JHB..

Current Stereo Setup

Rotel A10 integrated amp/preamp
Rotel RB980BX power amp
Yamaha CDC-585 5 disc CD Player
iFi Zen Stream
Topping E50 DAC
Fyne Audio F302 speakers

onionarticleIRL

Reaction score
Hi All,
Im Niki, I live in cape town, I gave a beautiful pair for yamaha ns1000s and goodmans magnum k's that i run off an Alesis Reverence power amp (ra100).
I build electronics (especially synthesizers and vintage musical instrument gear) and that tends to have a lot of overlap with the audiophile market.
HiFi is not my area of expertise so i thought id come here to ask a question or two and be able to engage in technical discussions

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A warm welcome to you. You have come to the right place. I am certain you will impart valuable knowledge to our members and visa-versa. (y)

NickBear

Nick
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I recently bought the new Kef R3 loudspeaker. My question is whether or not the Elicit-R has enough to get the most out of them?

I'm using a Gustard X18 Dac with Tidal MQA as my source for now. I do have a Rega PS 6 but the Ania cartridge is out of commission at the moment so, I can't compare using vinyl. I moved up for the meagre B&W 685 S2's which where bright and no problem for the Rega. The disclaimer is that I've only had the R3's for a day and I'm not use to the Kef sound yet. Weirdly enough the timing on energetic tracks on the R3's feels quicker or a quicker bass response, I'n not sure if that just means the sound is tighter. I know you can't compare these two speakers and room dynamics play a part.

I also don't have enough listening experience and I'm not an expert in this field. I'm using standard Rega cable and I'm wondering how much will changing that effect the sound? I was hoping to get the Supra PLY cable but unfortunately the brand is not available in SA. I have the Supra Excalibur USB cable for my Dac and that's a lot of cable for what you pay.

Coming back to my questions:
- Is the Rega Elicit-R enough to fully appreciate this speaker?
- If not, what are my options in the same price range?
- Do I need better cable?

Sounds like I'm spiralling down the audio rabbit hole.

Thank you kindly for any advice and appreciate responses.
PS - I'm new to the group. Hello folks.

LFX1

Reaction score
Hi I'm LFX from carbonite....

here to sell some gear but it's probably gonna take me a few years to get the post count up. ⛄

Sed?s

Reaction score
Hi, been part of this Forumn for awhile, but first post.
Recently acquired the following:
Sony STR V5 and a Sony PS4750 turntable, and presently looking for Sony SS-G9 speaker. Currently have it hooked up to a pair of Pioneer CS979

shunpillay

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm pretty new to the forum.

I've been a head-fi audiophile since 1991 - starting with a Marantz CD player, Tandberg tape deck, and a pair of Sennheiser cans. Head-fi back then was VERY niche.

My head-fi rig went through numerous revisions but finally settled down on a Topping DAC/AMP/PSU stack, and a pair of ZMF Auteur cans - which to my ears, are as close to flawless as I'll ever need.

My true passion is however affordable on-ear cans like the discontinued Sennheiser PX100, the venerable Koss KPH30i, and the modern Koss KPH40 Utility. It makes me giggle when these cans wiggle air into my ears ALMOST as nicely as some Mega-Buck systems.

Regrettably, I've burnt money on too many powered monitors, finally settling on the iLoud Micros - which meet my needs better than any other powered monitors I've owned.

Thanks to many users on this forum, I've recently completed my first, and likely last, high-end vintage system. The emerging jewel of this rig is a Linn Sondek deck from fdlsys - which I'll keep. The rest I'll likely sell on. Vintage was fun and interesting, but I'd rather focus on other things.

My main, and likely end-game rig, is currently a Kinki Studio EX-M1+ integrated, a Denafrips Pontus DAC, and two pairs of speakers that I'll toggle according to mood - entry-level Magneplanars, and entry-level Spendors.

I'm both tube and open-baffle curious.

This forum continues to be a joy, and I hope to spend more time here.

Ra-Mokgoshi

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm new on the forum but not on audio systems. I enjoy trading and listening to different sound systems, and had quite a few systems from from mid hifi to mid hi.

Hoping my sound Bug 🐛 will have peace in this forum.

Well what I can say is "I love the sound of it"

All the Best

adie

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
My main, and likely end-game rig, is currently...🤣🤣🤣

I'm both tube and open-baffle curious. (this line makes the above a lie). You know you're going to have to go from entry level Maggies and Spendors to, well, something- ajnd learn to roll your own.

This forum continues to be a joy, and I hope to spend more time here.

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi @Ra-Mokgoshi
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay here. There is a lot of amazing kit here to buy, listen and then sell again if you want to try something new.

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
@shunpillay Welcome to the forum.

My true passion is however affordable on-ear cans like the discontinued Sennheiser PX100, the venerable Koss KPH30i, and the modern Koss KPH40 Utility. It makes me giggle when these cans wiggle air into my ears ALMOST as nicely as some Mega-Buck systems.

Spoken like a wise sage! My PX100s need new foam though, wonderful cans. But I must say the Koss KPH30i are gems too. I lent my set to a friend and he's not giving them back. I wish Koss would bring out a Bluetooth version, imagine that, great sound, lightweight and no cables.

dave2

Reaction score
Howdy

This is literally the first time I have ever registered on (any) forum! It took me a few minutes to figure out how to post a "new message" here.... but turns out I had to "post a reply" instead LOL.

My equipment
  • Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones ...but buying (R8K worth of) headphones in 2021 with Micro-USB totally sucks. I cringe each time I plug it in the wrong way round, and feel that I should have gotten something with USB-C instead. Plus the mic apparently sucks (according to listeners) when I try make a phone call, so yeah - that's not happening either.
Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones.jpg
  • AIWA CX-NV800HR radio ...my parents bought it for me in high-school, so it's super sentimental. No remote and CD player is damaged, but AUX is fine. I'm using it right now actually, listening to "Within the Ruins - Calling Card."
AIWA CX-NV800HR radio.jpg

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome, @dave2 I like the Aiwa set, when I grew up I wanted one as well. Those and the Sony's were the rave then. Enjoy your stay here. Prepare for your next R8k spend, but with a whole lot more joy and value.

malanjan

Reaction score
Hi There

Been following the forum for a while never got around to post an Introduction message or just forgot.
I recently had the pleasure to meet Schalk and I am currently running a Valve Audio Exclame with Dynaudio Emit M20.

Would love to spend more time here on a regular basis.

shunpillay

Reaction score
Welcome, @dave2 . Fellow newbie here.

I too had a pair of Bose QC 35 II headphones. Such a delight sonically! I was amazed at just how close it's performance was to more 'audiophile' headphones like the HD600.

Hope you enjoy your stay. :)

b3Asle

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and audiophile world/hobby in general, although I've appreciated good sound for a while - since I was a child in the 80's after trying a pair of my uncles studio headphones - one of the classic Sony's, don't remember which.

In the early 2000's I got a pair of Etymotic Research iem's and I've broadly kept track of the headphone/iem world since then.

At this point it's mainly headphones and iem's, as well as headphone dacs & amps that interest me.

My daily driver is a pair of Hifiman Sundara's and a small xduoo XP-2pro portable dac/amp.
Also have some closed-back DT770's, 250 ohm & 80 ohm versions, and a pair of Sennheiser HD58x Jubilees in rotation (but these will all be up for sale quite soon).

Really great to see such an active local community - I had no idea!