Introductions Thread

martino

Reaction score
Hi. Greetings to all. My name is Martino and Im from Cape Town. I have a few odd pieces of vintage HiFi (turntables, amps, speakers and tuners) and I love to tinker with such on Sunday mornings.

Curlycat

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, there are many vintage members I mean, old-school members here with lots of advice and knowledge. But beware, before long you will be tinkering on Saturdays too. ;)

kinosfronimos

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am 31, an electronic engineer and live in Port Nolloth. I became interested in audio at a very young age, and started DIYing amplifiers and speakers in the late 70's.

Current interests are high efficiency speakers, dipole speakers, acoustical waveguides, HTPC, digital speaker processing and digital room correction. I'll stick to two channel stereo for the time being. When I have achieved my fidelity targets with stereo, I will consider expanding to surround. I hope to achieve my targets with DIY high efficiency, controlled directivity, and maybe dipole speakers. Longer term I'll replace my current sub with an infinite baffle sub.

Hope to have fruitful discussions with all. Good to see some DIY discussions too.

I have the following:

Rotel RCD-971 CD Player
Rotel RC-995 Pre-amp
Rotel RB-991 Power amp
Pioneer DV366 DVD player
Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers (old version)
Sonus Faber Gravis sub

Previously used:

Linkwitz active sub/sat system
Tannoy 15" coaxial in dipole configuration
Yamaha NS-1000
Wilson Watt / Puppy / Bryston
Greets & welcome! You'll find great audio DIY here B)

stereosane

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's what we do best here: listen to each other's audio gear fantasies and encourage the purchase of those dreams. Consider yourself duly warned and welcomed ;)

Hello Everyone, glad to be here.

Got introduced to this forum thanks to my ex [s/o] helping him sell all his things, but he tried to kill me soooooo, I am now my own freestanding audiophile baby.

I am mostly into headphones, big event sound systems, mixing decks as Dj and Music maker.
I want the weird and wonderful things in life, like mostly Synths and musical instruments to loop with. I use adobe Audition for edits and collaborate with various other artists around South Africa, producing different genres of beats, songs and sounds.

Im looking forward to exploring this platform on my own account. Audiophiles are my favourite kind of people.

I have no system. It was gifted to me by said ex, in bits and bobs, but I am eager to sell because id like to start with a clean break of anything reminding me of the madness that was his assault. Also I want to shift my focus into more production equipment, but also eager to learn more from this platform.

Anyway, based in currently freezing Jhb and meeting fascinating people with such magnificent systems. So inspired to be here and get posting.
Xissara is my Dj name, I play some events around Jhb. It means freedom in Thai [my third basic spoken language]

Peace.
Welcome

Beware though there are some grumpy Audiophiles here 😇

I had a listen to your track and East. I love it, do you have any other tracks that are similar to this one?

Sarel.wagner

Reaction score
Hallo. I restore old valve based vintage amps and test gear for myself as a hobby. Sometimes I also tinker with other electronics and embedded stuff for home automation.
Recently restored original Yamaha HP1 Ortodynamic headphones, bought them new way back when. I will post some pictures later.

Groetnis

stereosane

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hallo. I restore old valve based vintage amps and test gear for myself as a hobby. Sometimes I also tinker with other electronics and embedded stuff for home automation.
Recently restored original Yamaha HP1 Ortodynamic headphones, bought them new way back when. I will post some pictures later.

Groetnis
Welcome.

Xissara

Beginner Audiophile, Architect, Artist & Dj
Reaction score
Welcome

Beware though there are some grumpy Audiophiles here 😇

I had a listen to your track and East. I love it, do you have any other tracks that are similar to this one?
Gee whiz, blush . and Yay ! Glad it is liked, I am currently working on new work with another artist as we speak. I guess Ill launch here too?

EscoBlack

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Nasi here, been an avid liker of things. mainly work in IT and hvae a love for a classic things.
I have a few odd pieces here and there trying to rebuild but not sure so came looking here for some advice and direction.
i would not considere myself an audiophile but i dabble... i have too many headphones though:)

kinosfronimos

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Nasi here, been an avid liker of things. mainly work in IT and hvae a love for a classic things.
I have a few odd pieces here and there trying to rebuild but not sure so came looking here for some advice and direction.
i would not considere myself an audiophile but i dabble... i have too many headphones though:)
Welcome to the rabbit hole @EscoBlack esc !