Katji

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
[deleted] [Hadn't read properly. Coffee not working 100% today.]

blizzard

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Morne Coetzee said:
Try reading the conversation again....slowly this time and try getting it right as to who the seller and buyer is  :ROFLMAO:

Seeing that this thread is still running, and after reading it again in full, point for point, my verdict stays the same. Buyer is wrong by a mile.

Some points:
Buyer dealt with seller before and says he was not comfortable with the sale. Why deal with the seller again?
Why does the buyer think he deserves the privilege to review equipment at the seller's financial outlay and risk? This smacks of arrogance. Put the shoe on the other foot, pay for the item at the reduced cash price. Now the buyer carries the financial layout and risk. Simple. you don't like it, sell it on! Wonder why that option wasn't chosen  :whistler: ( But the seller is expected to do this) :ticked:
I have many more points I could mention here ,but at the risk of it getting personal, I will not go there.
In conclusion to the buyer. Sorry Mate , Bud , Boet, Meneer, Mevrou, you are way off the mark here and wrong for your expectations , and washing that laundry here on the forum!
My last  :2c: worth.
Over and out 

Drifter

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I should actually be mowing the lawn now that he rain has subsided a bit here in Cape Town, but I'm so intrigued by this that it has taken over my consciousness for the immediate moment.
I'm trying to fill in the missing bits here and this is how the story is playing out in my mind:

OP: "Yo dude! Howz it hanging bro? You remember me? I bought two banana plugs from you in 2013?"

Seller: "Hi"

OP: "That thingamajig that you are selling, ... send it my way for a few days will ya. I want to play around with it for a few days, see what it sounds like. Yo catch my drift?"

Seller: "If you want it you must buy. It is R25k."

OP: "Come on bro, don't be that guy man. Dudes around here know me. I'm good for that. Tell you what, just to show you I've got the bling I'll give you the R25k, I'll take your thingamajig for a sweet test drive until I'm tired of it and when I send it back you refund me. Howz that for a sweet deal?. That tech yo peddling is overpriced in any case, brother will be doin' ya a favour ...."

Seller: "I think you are taking me for a ride here. Tell you what, I'll sell it to you. If you return it in the same condition I'll take it back. I have a few other potential buyers so to make good for the deal I may be losing I'll refund you 80%."

OP: "You serious dude??. You don't trust me? I then told you I'm as good as royalty here around these parts. Matter of fact, my middle name is "honest". I've been doing this gig with a few bro's around here for yonks and a day"

Seller: "I just cannot take a chance to send you a R25k item to test. If you want it, just buy it. End of the story"

OP: [grabbing his laptop and opening the browser] "dudes at AVForums will hear about this yo. That seller has a thing coming his way."

I just knew I should not have watched all three Bad Boys movies in a row. That sh.t will screw you up for good.
Apologies to all ....
Maybe mods must lock before ths goes further down the gutter  :giggle:

Phase

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
[member=13448]Drifter[/member] come brother take my hand, I'll pick you up. I cannot see a good man down!

Phase

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Walk on, buy? Walk on, buy? That simple! OP wasn't forced to do anything, for the likes of me I cannot see how he takes exception. I've also read it more than once (whole thread). I think Corey summed it up best. "This smacks of arrogance."

Katji

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drifter said:
I should actually be mowing the lawn now that he rain has subsided a bit here in Cape Town, but I'm so intrigued by this that it has taken over my consciousness for the immediate moment.
I'm trying to fill in the missing bits here and this is how the story is playing out in my mind:

OP: "Yo dude! Howz it hanging bro? You remember me? I bought two banana plugs from you in 2013?"

:giggle:  :D  I've only read so far, but that's a good start. The thread gets better.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drifter said:

Seller: "Hi"

OP: "That thingamajig that you are selling, ... send it my way for a few days will ya. I want to play around with it for a few days, see what it sounds like. Yo catch my drift?"

Seller: "If you want it you must buy. It is R25k."

OP: "Come on bro, don't be that guy man. Dudes around here know me. I'm good for that. Tell you what, just to show you I've got the bling I'll give you the R25k, I'll take your thingamajig for a sweet test drive until I'm tired of it and when I send it back you refund me. Howz that for a sweet deal?. That tech yo peddling is overpriced in any case, brother will be doin' ya a favour ...."

Seller: "I think you are taking me for a ride here. Tell you what, I'll sell it to you. If you return it in the same condition I'll take it back. I have a few other potential buyers so to make good for the deal I may be losing I'll refund you 80%."

OP: "You serious dude??. You don't trust me? I then told you I'm as good as royalty here around these parts. Matter of fact, my middle name is "honest". I've been doing this gig with a few bro's around here for yonks and a day"

Seller: "I just cannot take a chance to send you a R25k item to test. If you want it, just buy it. End of the story"

OP: [grabbing his laptop and opening the browser] "dudes at AVForums will hear about this yo. That seller has a thing coming his way."

Spot on!  :giggle:

naughty

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
6.  In addition I find it strange that I am not be ?trusted? but he is to be ?trusted? with me paying up front. I was willing to pay over the full amount. (see whatsapp) (Even though I am of the believe the unit is overpriced with about R6000. Of course everyone welcome to charge what they want, I respect that)

in terms of this - if you buy from Takealot or Makro are they ever going to send without you paying first? - this is how business is conducted - this internet crap of if i'm a trusted buyer so you send before i pay is all nonsense - i won't do it - i would rather lose a sale than do this and be scammed out of the money - when buying i will only buy from trusted buyers with a good rep - if i'm extremely paranoid but really want the item then i will want to arrange some kind escrow service

restocking fees if the seller is not a dealer is a bit cheeky - but if he is a dealer he is entitled to it - many people will not buy an item once its been opened and if you buy something and opened it and changed your mind within the 7 days and return it in an open condition - well the seller has to be compensated for that loss because he then has to give discounts for "open box" sales - and if you opened it then you are due to pay for that usage

if its a second hand item - there should be no try before you buy - anyone asks me for that will get a reply of "take a long walk off a short pier" again i would rather lose a sale because lots of other people will take your item based on description and photos .... IMHO you either want it or you don't - if you don't trust a seller then get a forum member close by to examine before you purchase especially if its big ticket items (ridiculous to send someone to check the condition of an LP or a DVD that's under R100) but a R10k speaker - its reasonable if somebody comes to check it out first

IMHO if people are paranoid then don't buy and sell on the internet - that's why i have slowed this practice down bigtime - i offer all my stuff to local friends first who can check the item out and buy if its to their satisfaction or negotiate if the condition is not what they expect for an item of its specific age and usage and my argument is that i don't make a living buying and selling stuff on the internet so i can't afford to be scammed even once so if i'm unhappy dont even approach the other party - if unhappy with subsequent terms and conditions then walk away .... that item wasn't in your destiny

about overcharging ..... here again the seller is not holding anyone's hand to force them to buy - the buyer does not like the price they are welcome to go buy the same item brand new - if my first response after looking at a sale ad is that the seller is out of his mind in terms of the price - that ad instantly goes into the "ignore" list and i straight away go and check the price to rather buy the item new

Phase

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hats off to the OP for asking for a demo, getting upset with seller for not obliging? Then taking it up on the Forum? When I first read the opening comments, I thought the OP had bought and now showing remorse (actually felt for him!) BUT then it turns out he didn't, That's the arrogance we alluded to. I seriously cannot see why the man feels aggrieved! Specially after his friend tells him that it would have been a downgrade, the sellers reluctance saved him both money and a downgrade.  I mean WTF are we on about?

Katji

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think we can see a general consensus here.  "Case dismissed."

Sound_Hound_SA

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Lesson in life thought me:

Always find about the companies policy, especially when it comes to buy electronic items. Some shops will allow returns if the customer is not happy but there must be valid reasons, other shops will not allow any return if the item was opened and the seal on the box is broken.

Its good to know what your options are before buying anything.