How to scratch an itch?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonteldoos

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I recently acquired an ifi ZEN DAC, and I use it with a pair of Sennheiser HD598SE headphones. It sounds really good, and I prefer this to my wireless noise cancelling headphones (PXC550). I have upgraded the stock cable (to Tributaries Series 6), already use the iPower power supply, and upgraded the firmware (to v5.3c).

At work I mostly use the Tidal desktop app on my laptop. I use Apple Music (iTunes app) as backup. At this stage I'm not interested in any alternatives.

As much as I love the sound, I can't help feeling that the headphones are now "holding me back"... I don't need to buy immediately, but I've been researching different options, and so I'm turning here for some opinions.

If I had to summarize my needs:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Whatever I buy must be a substantial sonic upgrade from the HD598SE's
[*]Obviously they must be wired, and I found I really like the open-back sound
[*]They must be very, very comfortable, at least like these Sennies
[*]I'm not married to Sennheiser, but I know the brand well and do like the sound
[/list]

On to what I have been looking at:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Sennheiser HD660S: Reviews seem resoundingly positive, although I've read some that suggest they're a step down from the HD600 & HD650
[*]Which means I could consider the Sennheiser HD600?
[*]The BeyerDynamic Amiron Home or DT1990 Pro seem like very viable alternatives
[*]I have looked at some other brands, but often the reviews suggest that they can be uncomfortable, and so I generally ruled them out
[/list]

These aren't cheap headphones, so I'm worried about buying sight unseen/unheard, but since I'm not in a rush I'm happy to wait a bit and hear some forumites' wisdom or experience?