GB on forum DAC

Norval

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Reaction score
gbyleveldt said:
;D ;D ;D Seems like you not skaam to use your spoon, heh?

Andre has a solid silver; oxigen free; gold plated spoon that he just like to use  :D :D :D

AV

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Norval, not even that one seems to work.  ;D ;D ;D

Not really trying to stir, we all know that pro-audio equipment are designed for use in a different environment than hi-fi, sound quality isn't the ultimate goal.

As far as the use of certain components in the signal path is concerned (my list is longer than those three ;D), it is based on my experience and the sound that I like, therefore I've said "I believe".  I don't have a problem to be proven wrong, all that matter to me is sound quality, not the type of components used.

Andr?

croak

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
AV said:
Norval, not even that one seems to work.  ;D ;D ;D

Not really trying to stir, we all know that pro-audio equipment are designed for use in a different environment than hi-fi, sound quality isn't the ultimate goal.

As far as the use of certain components in the signal path is concerned (my list is longer than those three ;D), it is based on my experience and the sound that I like, therefore I've said "I believe".   I don't have a problem to be proven wrong, all that matter to me is sound quality, not the type of components used.

Andr?

As long as the mind remains somewaht open, there are bad examples of everything in life that may leave one prejudiced and ultimately you loose out...

Always hated MOSfets, then Arcam released the Alpha 6 amp and it had none of the MOSfet sound I did not like. Then Conrad Johnson released the MF2300, skopped a lot of more expensive high end amps, using mosfets again. Now I suspect it ios more likely a certasin implementation of mosFETs i do not like...
Not all signal txf are as bad as the next and sometimes am elegant circuit with a good cap can sound more true thena compex one to get rid of the same cap.

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update. I've received the last parts from RS, but I'm still waiting for the flippen Transformers!! I'm going to get done what I can this weekend, so I can just pop the transformers in when they come. I'm sure everybody is getting a little impatient, seeing as I've been enjoying mine for a few weeks already ;D

I'll keep y'all posted ;)

D

DevillEars

Gert,

Here's a link to a review I think you may find interesting:

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/824/index.html

Although it's a bit dated - 1996 - the product reviewed is about to be re-released in an updated form by PS Audio - although whether or not they'll be allowed to retain the product name of "Digital Lens" is not clear.

The Paul McGowan mentioned in the review ran Genesis Technologies back in the 1990's and now runs PS Audio - and Paul was the original designer of the Genesis Digital Lens.

As the article says, think jitter eliminator and not jitter reduction - although, given that the Lens still has to be connected to a DAC via a digital signal path, I'd say eliminator may just be over-ambitious.

Whatever your take, the review is fascinating...

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guys,

Just a note, the transformers still aren't ready!!! I'm getting seriously hacked off! :mad: :mad:

All I can do is apologise for the delay. I was hoping to get it all finshed the weekend. *SIGH* Well, all the boards are done and tested, if that is some consolation...

Blues

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
no need to apologise, s**t happens  ;)
I just waited six months for a power supply for my new tube amp, so what's another week or two.
also I'm sure everybody's grateful enough for what you're doing here, not to become impatient...

croak

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blues said:
also I'm sure everybody's grateful enough for what you're doing here, not to become impatient...

And if they are not they do not deserve the dac...

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Woohoo! Just picked up the transformers and enclosures now! Whew, what a relief. :D

I'll be getting it all done this weekend, provided I don't hit any hiccups.

D

DevillEars

gbyleveldt said:
Woohoo! Just picked up the transformers and enclosures now! Whew, what a relief. :D

I'll be getting it all done this weekend, provided I don't hit any hiccups.

Congratulations!!!  I was about to suggest an alternative....

transformers2007-WALLPAPERS.jpg

;D ;D

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Time for some good news. This is how far I am (Whew):

DSC00414.jpg

All I need to do is to go pick up some LEDs tomorrow, so I should start shipping on Tuesday ;D

D

DevillEars

Nice job, Gert!

With a bit of luck, you should have a weekend to yourself soon!  8)

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aha!!

Finally, I find a flaw in the man's work! (OK, potential flaw...).

Gert

That earth point is a bit dangerous: if the case should somehow become earthed externally, there'll be a dead short on the transformer. Hehe... learnt this one the hard way...

Nice progress.