Gain Staging?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adie

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had a Sherbourn Pre-1 in my system for a week and I have a few issues, though the thing is very well made and chock full of features.
However, running my iFi Neo DAC/digital pre in Fixed mode, there's too much juice and I hit 100db from my speakers before 1/4 volume.

I've changed the DAC output to variable and currently have it's volume at -35. Now, with the preamp volume at 10.30, I'm peaking around 90db- the same as using the Neo as a preamp, with the volume around -27.

I've experienced some sound quality issues. I was getting noise (not severe and not always noticeable) through my very sensitive speakers.Figured with the preamp volume hovering just above zero may have something to do with it.
Certain frequencies were tizzy to say the least- ameliorated by dropping JRiver's 20 band EQ at 750hz and 1khz to -1.5db (and 62.5hz to -2.5db.
The sound is compelling, but edgy. Dynamic swings are, well, dynamic. It's bit like observing a voluptuous woman in tight skimpy clothing. Everything is contained but something might escape any second  ;D
Compelling enough to listen for about 8 hours last night, so fatigue is not a factor.

Before I fiddle blindly further with the voluptuous woman, I'm hoping for some guidance from brighter sparks here.
The preamp does have tone controls.

Neo: Output Power:
Balanced: >6.4V/68.6 mW (@ 600Ω)
>5.77V/1040 mW (@ 32Ω)
UnBAL: >3.25V/17.6 mW (@ 600Ω)
>3V/295 mW (@ 32Ω)
Output Impedance: <1Ω (UnBAL/BAL)

Sherbourn:
Input Impedance Line In: 47K ohm +/-5%
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (rel 2V out): >116dB (ref 2V)
Distortion: < 0.005% 20Hz - 20kHz with 80kHz
measurement bandwidth
Frequency Response: 5Hz - 80kHz +/- 0.05 dB
5Hz - 250kHz +/- 1 dB
Maximum Line Out Level: 9V RMS
Ground Floor Noise Level: > 20uV
Channel Separation @ 1kHz: > 80dB

Hypex NCore: