• The whole bang shoot, USB, crossfeed etc

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • A mistress for christmas

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dingbat

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Further to ongoing discussions on this topic, please indicate your interest in the above poll.
This will assist Gert and Co. in knowing what plans and arrangements need to be made. I have set the poll to let you change your vote once an indication of final price has been made as I know this is important to some.

Thanks

GECO

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've got about a 100 x AD815 chips available, they make awesome headphone amps and easy as chips to implement. I will even share my design if anybody wants to run with this.

will let them go for cheap if bought in bulk

Cure

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Yahooo! This is really getting interesting!

Make it cheap Gert, Ludo et al. I'm just a starving student.

Submitted my vote

dotVIBE

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
and i'm a starving working 31 year old. though i don't look like i'm starving. actually.... some starving would probably do me good. but you guys know what i mean!

Cure

AVForums Member
Reaction score
are we all starving here??? :D

Gert and co. - you heard the majority. everyone here is starving, to death, i wouldn't know.  ;D This is an appeal for DIY master to give us the best-bang-for-the-buck HP amp within our limited budget. hehehe

ludo

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
The starving masses might look at http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,5869.0.html at their leisure. ;D

dotVIBE

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the guys are do something in this line, a DAC/H.Amp thing might be the way to go.

xumbug

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I'm in if someone can build the whole bang shoot for me :)

Dingbat

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
dotVIBE said:
If the guys are do something in this line, a DAC/H.Amp thing might be the way to go.

Thats one of the options and preferable ATM, prolly the cheapest too

Cure

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going for the fully built as well. Gert and Ludo should just team up and come up with a nice head amp for mass production. Customs' taxes are way too high with imported amps. 

@rodney
You selling your hd 650? Pm me

gbyleveldt

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Alright, so things are as clear as mud...

I think it's a given that there's enough interest, now we need to beg the question, which design to use? If I'm reading this right, it's between the TPA 6120 and Ludo's brew. I think it's going to be a little unfair to put it up to a vote, but in the interests of keeping costs down it does make sense to stick with one design. If we do go the TPA route, we will need to get double sided PCBs professionally made as the TPA chip has specific heatsinking requirements. If we go Ludo's route, it's up to him if he'd have PCBs made or if he wants to do it himself.

Point is, I'm not too sure where to go from here. I'm not phased which way it goes, I've got many HP amps here and planning on doing a Valve Hybrid in any case. But seeing as we have almost 18 interested parties, I'm sure we can do something very nice.

We also need to consider the following:
- Use of Boutique parts (Like fancy volume pot and funky caps for example)
- What features you want (USB input, SPDif input, Crossfeed [urgh], etc)
- I'd still like to get some concensus on the kind of money people are prepared to spend on this.
- What are we doing for casework. I quite like the AP enclosures for this. They quite cheap and look decent for something that costs around R150.

So ja, not really much closer to a final design. At least we know there's enough interest to warrant going further.

chipwelder

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not in the market, but wouldn't it make sense to have Ludo's headamp end talk to Gert's USB DAC... it seems significant thought went into Ludo's design already, I guess it won't fit on the same board... so you prolly will have two boards - I'm guessing that won't matter as you could just get a case that'll fit both... I don't know if you'd have to split PSU's? prolly only if you not interested in the budget side.