FLAC player for car.

SamCro

Reaction score
Good day,

My previous car had a Alpine headunit, had it installed after I bought the car, which was able to play FLAC from USB flashdrive. Sound was awesome and I was a very happy driver.

My new car have the original factory unit. Unfortunately installing an atermarket unit is not an option as it's integrated into the dash. On top of that the unit 'talks' to the info display via CAN or some kind of protocol I can't recall now.

So I've been looking at a portable device which will be able to play my FLAC files I have on my flashdrive. Even if I have to copy it to the the said device it will be fine. I just need that awesome sound quality again. The car have a USB port, only supports MP3, and a round audio kind of plug, like the ones find on headphones. I believe the latter is for an Ipod...if I'm not mistaken.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it really important in a car?  My Honda CRV plays MP3 and WAV and you can get the same degree of fidelity with 24-bit WAV files as FLAC

I used dbPoweramp?s music converter to change FLAC to WAV

The car is very quiet up to about 80km/he but tyre noise intrudes above this

ron g

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
SamCro said:
Does anyone have any suggestions?

i just use my phone with a 3.5mm cable from phone to radio input (in the centre console).
sq is ok, i have an lg v30 which seems to be one the the better phones for audio - it not only plays flac, it can play hi resolution flac files.
it is a bit awkward in terms of controlling the music - i just hit random & accept whatever comes up while i am driving.

a dap would also work as well. i have recently bought a cheapie which i plan to use in the car once a collect it.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
My phone does not have a 3.5mm jack, but can play music via Bluetooth to the radio.  The menu displays the track titles

andredt

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I must be honest, i cant possibly see why you would want to play a FLAC file in a car unless you have a high end after market setup.

jvr

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
The 3.5 mm aux input will suffice to play back FLAC, or any other format from phone, or whatever. Not all aux outputs, onboard dac, aux inputs are created equal though.. But, it beats MP3, even via BT. I got myself a really snazzy BT to FM thingy that one plugs into the lighter plug, and it works really well if you select a suitable frequency out of reach of other broadcasts. Even with this lossy formats sound pretty bad compared to CD sq.

PS. It could be any lossless format though, FLAC, Apple L, WAV..

SamCro

Reaction score
andredt said:
I must be honest, i cant possibly see why you would want to play a FLAC file in a car unless you have a high end after market setup.

That was the case with my previous car. Alpine headunit, no CD, with top range Alpine Class D amplifier. Blam 6.5" splits in all doors. Inner/outer skins of doors sound proofed. I converted all my CD's to FLAC, cause it then fitted on one flashdrive, and it sounded unbelieveable!

Toxxyc

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah I also had a car with a decent Kenwood head unit, a very nice amp (can't remember the brand now) but I remember the Hertz splits and sealed sub.  It wasn't strong, but it was absolutely crystal clear.  FLAC was also supported by the HU and it was noticeably better than 320kbps MP3s I listened to before.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
iPhones past 8 don't have a 3.5mm socket

You can however get a Lightning to 3.5m adaptor