Do you get what you pay for? Is it worth it?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morne Coetzee

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Here goes, and this is only my opinion based on my experiences, and I do hope [member=1356]Francois[/member] weighs in here because I remember him having a post a while back about what the budget would likely be for a good system.

Because I am so passionate about audio, i have owned many systems, met many dealers and even more audiophiles along the way. I got to listen to some Super systems, and not to bragg cause I am sure I'll get flac anyway but my system at close to R2M (at least to replace) is not to shabby....at least thats what I thought. Most decent systems are, relatively pricey. Iv'e spent lots of time listening to Rodneys system, been to Achim's, listened at Mervin's and a phlethora of very very wealthy people's systems all over the country. Tastes vary and certain equipment will never satisfy my taste irrespective of price.

Iv'e also heard reasonable systems that sounds very good, not resolving but musical. I also realised there will almost always be a tradeoff between true to source and musical. I also agree that there is something like diminishing returns.

With all that being said,  you get the Billionaires of this country.  I recently got invited by a couple of dealers to a private listening session mostly because this was only a temporary setup and most rooms that justify this equipment just does not exist in this country even less so at dealerships. I mean the deminishing returns between R2M and R5M or R15M or R50M must be immense right?

I'am not going to go into prices but the cheapest cable in the room was R80 000, subwoofers that cost more than B&W flagship speakers, heck the center speaker cost the same as my house!!! Surround speakers like sticking 32 BMW M3's to your ceiling......Un FREAKING believable is all I am going to say. Mind blown.

Is there improvements to be heard above say R100 000 
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
........let me just say yes, some and then some....

Was it worth it to have the veil lifted.....not sure, first of all it's now been burned into my memory, ignorance used to be bliss. Would I buy a R50 000 000.00 system as opposed to the V&A Waterfront for R55 000 000.00, I don't think so. Depends if it will take me a day or a week to earn it, Jeff Bezos currently have R1836 000 000 000.00, maybe he will, but I promise you it will sound better than anything I've heard up to now.
90315c1e5444e0a383a1304550757e10.jpg