Difference between gel and lead acid batteries

LouisF

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
My question is simple: is there in fact a difference? Spoke to a battery salesman here in the Strand and he said both are in fact lead/acid batteries. Why would gel then be more expensive and how is it better to use than lead/acid?

mr_b

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gel means that the electrolyte has been made into a jelly and cannot leak. No appreciable performance difference except in demanding usage (car and lorry, erratic charging)

One supplier charges more for 8 a/h gel than 7 a/h liquid. The 8 a/h weighs 300g more and generally provides better performance and last longer, especially in high demand situations like gate motors

A long time ago, a US company, made “Power Sonic” batteries. These were considerably heavier than today’s batteries. I had one which lasted 12 years

A better design today is an AGM battery. Also lead-acid but has fibre-glass matting adjacent to the lead plates. This type offers more capacity for the same size battery

But without a doubt, Lithium-ion beats them all, hands down. These are gradually coming down in price, about 25% reduction in 2 years.

Keep and eye out for Sodium content batteries. 40% more capacity, many more thousands of charge cycles

Last edited:

ron g

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
i found that the gel battery in my bike held charge for extremely long times between use. i could leave it around 6 months & still plenty of power to start.

agm is a new one to me. i just replaced the one in my car - it was the original which came with the car 11 years ago!!!

Nadfan

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
My question is simple: is there in fact a difference? Spoke to a battery salesman here in the Strand and he said both are in fact lead/acid batteries. Why would gel then be more expensive and how is it better to use than lead/acid?
Hello Louis. I have the same issue. Where in the Helderberg do you buy these batteries from?

LouisF

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Battery world, 154 Main Rd, Strand 0218543456
But that was the sealed lead acid battery, 12V 7.5 Ah, as used for gate motors, alarms and so on and is also available in gel but I have not looked around for the latter in the Strand yet. Maybe ACDC in Gant's Plaza, but they usually are quite expensive.
I do have a contact for the Gel batteries as the lead acid ones above at R350.

Nadfan

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Battery world, 154 Main Rd, Strand 0218543456
But that was the sealed lead acid battery, 12V 7.5 Ah, as used for gate motors, alarms and so on and is also available in gel but I have not looked around for the latter in the Strand yet. Maybe ACDC in Gant's Plaza, but they usually are quite expensive.
I do have a contact for the Gel batteries as the lead acid ones above at R350.
Hello Louis. Thanks for the response. I had to pay R350 for lead acid type as I was in a hurry and didn't want to take a chance with the alarm system. Wish I had time to shop around but alas!