Dewaudio custom build - arrival of a masterpiece

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanjammy

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I have a long history with [member=760]ghostinthemachine[/member] - from his early days as an energetic AVF member, sponging every bit of information possible and developing it in somewhat unorthodox ways. I would often bump heads with him then. I was insufferably arrogant (even more than now), and I didn't appreciate his evolution, or have the vision for what he would become.

Fast forward, and I heard much about his accomplishments, but it was clear that he hadn't found his niche. Dewald's work would pop up here and there - a refurb, a completed DIY project. The Starmap and other fabrication ventures blew me away in how finished they were. These were 'real' products.

So when I wanted to build some Firstwatt kit on the cheap, I called Dewald when I ran out of talent. I had imported the boards and parts, carefully chosen, glued the components to the boards, but then decided I wanted something special.

I rapaciously pillaged Nelson Pass, from copying the XA25 look and feel, to reading about every component choice. Dewald and I worked for weeks (months) on how the end product would like. We obsessed about heatsink design together - even the front panel wording was seemingly endlessly scrutinised. Eventually it was all decided, and I pressed go.

And then I had to do something I sucked at. Be Patient.

I saw a few pics, some mates had visited Dewald and would tell me the tale of my preamp, or the amazing F6. But I only set eyes and ears on them today. The only word that can describe this is Wow.

For starters, this is the best finished audio product I've seen that emanates from SA shores. Every bolt, connector, wheel or foot is just perfect. Fit and finish is amazing. There are no clicks (other than the almost musical sound of the relays pulling in), buzzes or any untowards. It Just Works.

To comment on the sound is somewhat moot. It is absolutely the sum of its parts, and I am extremely happy.

I am not a person who gets attached to things. I value them for utility, not for the 'big deal' of owning. Yet these two power amps and preamp are different. I am extremely proud to own them.

Thanks Dewald for giving me this opportunity. Thanks (most of all) for making the project so much FUN. You have finally found your niche, and I for one can't wait to hear your projects in future.

Latest posts