Desktop - entirely new system, or upgrade HDD?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVSA Andrew

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of you may remember a few months back when I queried about uprading my RAM on my old desktop. I've now done this, and while there was some improvement in speed, it wasn't fabulous. Some here recommended I replace the HDD with a better SSD, which would give better speed as well.

My problem currently is that the desktop has an erratic issue with freezing, and it's got to the point where I'm considering just calling it quits and getting an entirely new set-up.

However, finances are always an issue. Generally, the speed of the computer is fine - I don't use it for anything serious - no gaming, etc. It's for doing my accounts, emailing, uploading/downloading info to the Cloud for back up purposes. I was considering going the SSD route, and was advised that there is apparently a very easy way of doing a mirror copy of the existing HDD onto the new SSD, so I wouldn't have to go through the entire shlep of loading Windows 10 from scratch, all the frigging drivers, etc. - I could literally just do the copy and I'd be up and running.

My only concern is the freezing issue - I can't work out if it is a hardware or software issue, so I don't know if, for example, doing the replacement SSD will achieve nothing more than copying the software across, along with the bugs causing the issue, and I'll still have the same problems.

Can anyone here give any advice?