Choices!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agaton Sax

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I have not been listening much to my sound system. There has been the overall darkness of Covid, then the death of my friend and fellow audio traveller, other issues and finally the dragon called Escom that would pull the plug every time my system was in a period of warming up.

When I finally returned to sound it was streaming: A million songs and nothing to listen too. But I was in awe just how good the sound was, how stunning the music-and I?ll walk away to do something else. All through I wondered? Why 4, what people would consider, state of the art turntables ,why umpteen arms and why all those cartridges? I even said  openly one should have one of each and Basta! Why not sell all Analog devices and stream and stream and stream forever?

Then I broke out analog again. I forced myself to take an album and listen again. And it was as always: Chaos as one album followed another in a state of chaotic energy. Hour follows hour as music took precedence over all else.

But it was Kraftwerk: Their Radioaktiv had noise in the one channel. Carefully clean the v d  Hul  stylus or just flop to another cart on another table? Yes! but, but ,but. Dang the noise ,is this the same album? Yes! Back to almost 2 years ago. As the Reed /Vd Hul devoured one album after another, painfully showing  the intro of Human League?s ?Lebanon? on 80s 12 inch vinyl  once belonging to a proud ?Abrie? and bought for R5 by me from goodness knows where but totally shattering the digital. Breakfast in America painful in its 70s prog tricks and then?No,No? : Joy Division deserves more. The 70s sledgehammer Fidelity Research combo showed the music to  be so much more than the cheesy synth and bass lines laid bare by the thoroughly modern Reed/v d Hul combo. Perfect! Then side B on Koetsu Onyx cart and arm and?.what a mess! Back to FR and England?s gloomy industrial Northwest at its 80s bleakest.Koetsu rubbish then? No, no! Carol King on Tapestry and 1 second and why they need that piano in that locale,King's Northeast US Jewish voice in such perfection you don?t even need a map. Only a Koetsu can do that.

So, Rubbish? You are right Ingvar, you need choices? in analog at least!