Chipped Xiaomi android tv box legal? Illegal?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAPPA3

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the market for an android TV box.  I see a guy on the net selling Xiaomi TV box which includes a chip to steam channels for free.  Sounds dodgy, but he has assured me it's not illegal.  His responses to my question if it is legal:

"Morning. Please see videos. Boxes are brand new! And yes it is 100% legal. In South Africa you are allowed to stream! The only thing you not allowed to do is download movies and series as that?s breach copyright right laws. But streaming is all above board."

"If you uncomfortable then I totally understand. As I say our laws permit streaming. Also IPTV they charge you monthly. So that is a rip off scheme as well."

"We also did extensive research to ensure it?s above board. Not worth it to get involved with dodgy stuff and get into trouble with something stupid. No stress"

"People ask us if we can give them direct access through the dstv apps etc which we refuse to do as thats illegal'

I saw this, but it's in the UK:

Mr Terry O?Reilly, a supplier of IPTV and Android-type boxes was recently jailed for four years. The case was brought against him and another man by The Premier League, as the men were selling pre-loaded with software that facilitated the streaming and piracy of broadcasting Premier League football on unauthorised foreign channels. The men were both convicted for Conspiracy to Defraud, following a significant investigation by the City of London Police.

https://www.diemlegal.co.uk/streaming-kodi-android-tv-box-court-summons/

Status
Not open for further replies.