Chillie Sauces

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User121314

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
At RJ's request: https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php?topic=77771.msg909281#msg909281

Here are 2 easy concoctions :)

20 minute quickie smooth sauce:
Approx 500g chillies of your choice (I usually use a mix of piri-piri & Jalapenos from my garden & add 1 or 2 Habaneros)
2 cups vinegar - I normally use white wine or even white spirit. Balsamic doesn't work so well with this.
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
2 tablespoon brown sugar

Wash peppers.
Slice tops off peppers & then slice them in half along their length. Remove seeds.
Pour vinegar into large pan (or pot) & add chilies, salt & garlic.
Bring to a boil & then simmer for 15 minutes or so until the chilies are soft.
Once they are soft remove & pour the whole lot into a blender.
Blend until it is at the consistency you prefer. I blend for a while, then sieve through a muslin cloth as I prefer this to be a smooth tabasco style sauce with no chunks.

It matures well, and the heat increases the longer you keep it. Ingredients can be doubled or tripled with no problems.

Next up:
Slow roasted perfection :) - can be left chunky or blended until smooth.

1kg Jalapenos plus a few Habaneros (I use these as they are large, so easier to peel - trying to peel piri-piri chilies when they're still hot is a painful nightmare)!
1 kg Rosa Tomatoes (Woolies is the easiest place to find)
250g Sweet Onions (Woolies again)
5 peeled cloves garlic
One cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
50ml lemon or lime juice

Cut tops off chilies & halve them length ways. Remove seeds if you want to.
Cut tomatoes into quarters.
Cut onions into rings

Place chilies, tomatoes, onions & garlic on a roasting tray. (I line the tray/s with baking paper, makes cleaning up easier)
Lightly oil with Olive oil & roast at 180 for about 30 minutes (until skin of chilies starts to blister).
Remove from oven, cover with tin foil for 15 minutes (to steam).
Remove skins of chilies & tomatoes & discard.
Chop/crush the roasted garlic.

Add all ingredients to a large pan or pot & add the vinegar & lemon/lime juice. Heat & allow to simmer.
How long you simmer will depend on the type of sauce you want - if you want a smooth/runny sauce then simmer for about 15 minutes. If you prefer a chunky sauce then simmer for about 30 minutes.

Add everything to a blender & blend until you reach the consistency you prefer. Decant into bottles or jars!

This will also increase in heat as it ages.

Both the recipes above will keep for up to 2 weeks if kept in the fridge.