Carbonite - issues?

JayMac

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried to login to Carbonite last week - its been a while'so I wanted to change my password. Gave me a new requirement for 2 step verification, but I cant do that without changing my password. And I can change my password without the two step verification! I sent an email to them, but no reply yet. I even tried er-registering - but that was obviously blocked as my email address is already in use (theoretically by me,,,,).

Next steps?

Thanks,
JayJay

Trompie67

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did you send the email via the contact us form? They usually respond within a day or two to 2FA issues.

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I also gave up on this, forgot what the issue was now but decided it was not worth the hassle.

-F_D

adie

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are not a regular user you don't know where the goalposts have moved to.
Just look at the threads regarding login issues. I may be stupid, but it's a stupid system imo.
I stopped using Carbonite.

GradoMan

AVForums Member
Reaction score

Create a new post there (Click in "Thread Title" box next to "Support" tab in red) and one of the Admins will sort it out for you.

Last edited:

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Carbonite fulfills a much needed function. There is so much tech stuff not in daily use, that its almost essential for you to pass it on

All my sales and purchases have been without fault (so far)

TimbaLand

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I played around until I got it right. I don’t know what I did but I found a way. It was a frustrating experience though

Nikkel

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
If you are not a regular user you don't know where the goalposts have moved to.
Just look at the threads regarding login issues. I may be stupid, but it's a stupid system imo.
I stopped using Carbonite.
There's is just too much potential for scams on Carbonite that they had to put those measures in place... I'd bet Carbonite moves 100x the volumes of items than on here so its a goldmine for scammers to the uninitiated...

Once you sorted on Carb then its pretty much the same as here...

You can login as a guest on their support forum here Support Forum if you have any issues... otherwise its exactly the same as on this new platform

Spyderwasp

Reaction score
The 2 factor authentication became necessary due to people having their account hacked. Then using their trusted credit score and itrader ratings people were scammed. I love Carbonite. Buying tech ks difficult otherwise. Nasper also took down olx so the only other relevant 2md hand market is gumtree. There was a couple guys mentioning there how difficult Avforum is as well. Kind of funny that both forum have people struggling with the other. Their issue was you have to post 50 times here before you can sell. I have been on Avforum and bought a lot for years. I still can't sell. I don't have 50 posts..

JayMac

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Eventually got access again. What a mission! Part of the problem is that the hyperlinks don't show up - they appear camouflaged in normal text until you scroll over the words.
Thanks for the carious comments.

Steve

AVForums Member
Reaction score
The 2 factor authentication became necessary due to people having their account hacked. Then using their trusted credit score and itrader ratings people were scammed. I love Carbonite. Buying tech ks difficult otherwise. Nasper also took down olx so the only other relevant 2md hand market is gumtree. There was a couple guys mentioning there how difficult Avforum is as well. Kind of funny that both forum have people struggling with the other. Their issue was you have to post 50 times here before you can sell. I have been on Avforum and bought a lot for years. I still can't sell. I don't have 50 posts..
Well, AVF is not a glorified online tech classifieds site like Carb is. There is valuable information here from a wealth of knowledge acquired over decades by the members. One is supposed to engage here and create a reputation for oneself before being allowed to sell anything. This protects both the existing AVF members and the integrity of the forum. CARforums has the same system in place.

Solution? Engage more with this place and its people so that you get to the requisite post numbers and then you can sell to your heart’s desire. It’s hardly difficult… And you might learn something along the way.

PS. AVF has far fewer scammers partly because of the requisite post count. Maybe if Carb had the same approach, it wouldn’t require such hectic measures like 2FA?

baasgene

Reaction score
Big carb man myself, I much prefer how strict they have become. It was born out of frustration to curb the growing skelm industry.

I have an incredible nose to sniff out bs so I cannot be scammed, but over the years on carb I got frustrated by the constant threads of people being scammed. We had the groenies, but a lot of different groenies have emerged over the years. Just try facebook market for a while and you will understand.

Spyderwasp

Reaction score
Well, AVF is not a glorified online tech classifieds site like Carb is. There is valuable information here from a wealth of knowledge acquired over decades by the members. One is supposed to engage here and create a reputation for oneself before being allowed to sell anything. This protects both the existing AVF members and the integrity of the forum. CARforums has the same system in place.

Solution? Engage more with this place and its people so that you get to the requisite post numbers and then you can sell to your heart’s desire. It’s hardly difficult… And you might learn something along the way.

PS. AVF has far fewer scammers partly because of the requisite post count. Maybe if Carb had the same approach, it wouldn’t require such hectic mea

PS. AVF has far fewer scammers partly because of the requisite post count. Maybe if Carb had the same approach, it wouldn’t require such hectic measures like 2FA?
Hmmmm
Lets say you post a lot and do not have a strong password or 2FA. Someone uses your account and everyone sees you post a lot and fall for the scam. The issue is not that you need to post a lot. It is your account being stolen after you have done effort and made a reputation. Also it is difficult to post when you are not knowledgeable and some people point out your messages as if you created Carbonite when you are not even a moderator. Posting just for posting sake may create scrollings and scrollings of nonsense, just so people can get enough posts.
Please don’t misinterpret. Posting a lot and having an itrader account for reference of past deals and 2FA etc are all great. Makes it safer. Especially with expensive tech like kef ls50. Gorgeous

Steve

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm
Lets say you post a lot and do not have a strong password or 2FA. Someone uses your account and everyone sees you post a lot and fall for the scam. The issue is not that you need to post a lot. It is your account being stolen after you have done effort and made a reputation. Also it is difficult to post when you are not knowledgeable and some people point out your messages as if you created Carbonite when you are not even a moderator. Posting just for posting sake may create scrollings and scrollings of nonsense, just so people can get enough posts.
Please don’t misinterpret. Posting a lot and having an itrader account for reference of past deals and 2FA etc are all great. Makes it safer. Especially with expensive tech like kef ls50. Gorgeous
A simple solution to this entire problem: have a strong password and 2FA. The measures have been implemented to avoid scamming as far as possible. I say, use them!

On your knowledgeability point, nobody here will laugh in your face if you point out that you're here to learn and you ask in advance for forgiveness if you unintentionally say something silly. Heck, most people here would rather love to help you gain more knowledge!