Budget Ratio Speakers/Sub

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joffieb

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I?d love to add a sub just to enhance the bottom of end of my system and I also believe that it would even out the occasional harsh top note. I really don?t have immense budget and would probably look at used ones but I need a target model or two. I can hear a 40hz tone easily on my system. Someone said any sub is better than none. I very briefly tried my ancient Yamaha HT cheapie one but it was muddy. (Admittedly, at that stage I did not know about calling around whilst the sub sits on the couch like a king and in fact was still green on the subject and thought that it doesn?t matter where you put a sub in the room because base is Omni directional. I know better now but still don?t have much faith or hope for the little Yamaha.)

Obviously, my dream would be an SVS S1000 but even if I found one second hand in a charity shop , Is that a realistic target? Should one be looking for a sub that retails for almost double the retail price of the equivalent of one?s speakers. [685S2]?

Or should I be asking for a few ?punching above their weight? sub suggestions  that would go well with competent bookshelves.

Thanks

Latest posts