AVR vs Stereo Integrated

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cam

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering when it comes to music what your opinion on Avr vs integrated is? or whatever stereo setup you have. I cant ever remember enjoying music on the older type avrs but I now quite enjoy listening to music on youtube playing on the tv and fed to the avr by optical cable. Ive got an older entry level Yamaha but sounds quite good and the onboard dac seems to do a good job as well. I can imagine the upmarket avrs with better build quality, new tech, best dacs available etc could probably sound very good with music. I have a couple other stereo amps, cambridge, teac, yamaha ca800 and all sound good in their own ways,  but im now at a point where Im considering upgrading my avr so my question is, does it make sense to have a dedicated stereo system or should I just spend a bit more, get a decent avr and let go of the stereo stuff. I can afford entry level to mid stuff so im thinking one good avr should do the trick. I know there is stereo kit out there that will outperform an avr but at what price point does this really happen? Unlikely for entry level to mid integrated to outperform modern avrs. Im also starting to think some avrs could even be a very good stereo integrated as they come with great dacs onboard, good connectivity and some with ability to sacrifice surround channels to biwire your front stereo pair for better sound quality. whats your thoughts?

Latest posts