Audio network Streaming cable

xumbug

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Good evening,

I am in desperate need to get a streaming network cable LAN from my office downstairs to my music room upstairs +- 30 odd metres installed/

So far 3 companies have let me down and have not pitched up to do the work. I need it to be done properly asap with the right quality connections both ends and would like to run CAT and Fiber together so that if i want to use one or the other, it is all ready there.

Can anyone recommend a company or individual that can do this for me.

Thank you ;)

scrarfussi

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
xumbug said:
Good evening,

I am in desperate need to get a streaming network cable LAN from my office downstairs to my music room upstairs +- 30 odd metres installed/

So far 3 companies have let me down and have not pitched up to do the work. I need it to be done properly asap with the right quality connections both ends and would like to run CAT and Fiber together so that if i want to use one or the other, it is all ready there.

Can anyone recommend a company or individual that can do this for me.

Thank you ;)
Sent pm

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

xumbug

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like i have a solution. Thank you for coming over Mr Scrarfussi ;)

pwatts

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
My research so far has pointed that a cascaded setup of both fiber and copper yields the best results, consistently. For a run like you mean, and especially considering the power differences to be expected due to the distance variation to the DB, I would go fiber for the long run, then a switch or media converter to go copper closer to the streamer. Don't cheap out on those, including the SFPs for fiber. Startech is the brand to go for when buying SFPs.
The closer you get to the streamer, the more attention to be paid to the quality of the converter/switch and cables. Chuck out any switching power supplies and replace with linear ones.

It quickly becomes a rabbit hole - who said streaming is simpler than CD...

Feel free to contact me with q's.

scrarfussi

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
pwatts said:
My research so far has pointed that a cascaded setup of both fiber and copper yields the best results, consistently. For a run like you mean, and especially considering the power differences to be expected due to the distance variation to the DB, I would go fiber for the long run, then a switch or media converter to go copper closer to the streamer. Don't cheap out on those, including the SFPs for fiber. Startech is the brand to go for when buying SFPs.
The closer you get to the streamer, the more attention to be paid to the quality of the converter/switch and cables. Chuck out any switching power supplies and replace with linear ones.

It quickly becomes a rabbit hole - who said streaming is simpler than CD...

Feel free to contact me with q's.

that is the plan fibre  then a switch and well from the switch all kinds of snake oil  :EGrin:
but for the run itself will be fibre

pwatts

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
scrarfussi said:
that is the plan fibre  then a switch and well from the switch all kinds of snake oil  :EGrin:
but for the run itself will be fibre

Perfect! Do give details on the snake oils and findings, I'd be very interested :)