Audeze LCD5

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifter

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I guess good things do come to those who wait.

After ordering a set of these in November last year, they finally arrived. My bank manager has tears in his eyes.

First impressions:
- Proper open back, there is just nothing that stops external sounds. It feels like there is nothing actually covering your ears. You hear every single ambient sound.
- Surprisingly light (just over 400g) when compared to some of Audeze's other monsters that can tip the scale at 700g.
- Build quality is as one would expect very good. They feel sturdy and well put together.
- The matt carbon headband is stunning.
- I was a bit nervous about comfort. These have the larger headband and I am relieved to say that they feel my Beyer DT770Pro's. You forget you have them on. I have a big head and clamping force is medium to low. The headband is thinner that the standard Audeze suspension band and it took a few minutes to find a good resting point for it on my large head.
- The new slanted ear pads is a winner. There is much less pressure on your cheeks and the area around your ears.
- I don't care much for the standard braided cable. I need to compare it to my Hart and Toxic cables for sound but the actual design is not my bag.
- Not that easy to drive considering the 14 ohm impedance.

So how do they sound, initial thoughts are:
- Redefines the term "fast bass". I have never heard a double bass sound as good. Bass notes start and stop on a pin. Best I have ever heard from any speaker or headphone full stop.
- Very very accurate soundstage, pinpoint placement. Not HD800 wide, but extended and offers plenty of hight and depth.
- Extended treble, but never sharp.
- Insight provided into the recording is remarkable.

I've only had about an hour of listening so far and I will add to this review as I get more listening time.