Any good armature re-winders around ?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marantz123

AVForums Super Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
Fellows

Funny thing.. I have a Makita jigsaw which developed an open cct in its rotor winding. I can see that the copper winding has melted itself (two open ends) apart within the web of copper windings, too deep to get to without causing more damage to the windings above. At times, if I get a spark to jump across the gap, the machine runs, however the gap has widened as the spark eats away at the open ends. The stator winding is fine.

Anyway, some advice please from those with some experience here. A new armature (import) is possible but expensive, priced it two years ago, a new machine (other brand) would cost less than a new armature.  Rewinding the armature ....watched some clips on www, its quite a process to burn off all the epoxy and strip the rotor down, clean it, get new copper and then rewind it in some fancy pattern which only a seasoned winder would know how to do..IMO.

Any advice please...has anyone had such work done on domestic power tools / appliances,  what could a rewind cost if I could find someone knowledgeable to do it ? Its a shame to scrap the machine as its a Makita industrial spec, and has good cutting accuracy...an aspect that some lower-end machines battle with.

Thanks
Marantz123.