Ani Difranco - To the teeth :: Where can I get?

G

Gliding Dutchman

Where can I possibly get a copy of this album?
Apparently it has an extremely wide frequency range as low as 12Hz... 

Ani Difranco - To the teeth

GD

PS - Kalahari and Look & Listen is no good.

J

jamster

LOL at buying music based on dynamic range. Have you ever heard Ani before - she is an acquired taste?

I would suggest starting off with something a little more accessible like 'Not a Pretty Girl' or 'Up Up Up Up' - both can be found at CDW (or whatever the hell they are called now), or L&L.

Otherwise just order from Amazon.

FWIW, I am a real fan of her work - but tend to not use it as demo because of the hectic lyrics

G

Gliding Dutchman

Thank you Jamster...

I am odd when it comes to buying albums. Most of the time I'll buy an album just for its sonics rather than artistic contents.

I think it would be interesting if you can tell us what tracks you personally consider as thee best for referencing/reviewing.

GD

J

jamster

Gliding Dutchman said:
Thank you Jamster...

I am odd when it comes to buying albums. Most of the time I'll buy an album just for its sonics rather than artistic contents.

I think it would be interesting if you can tell us what tracks you personally consider as thee best for referencing/reviewing.

GD

GD, I firmly believe that it's music first - HiFi second. Not to say that the equipment and sonics are unimportant, but I see them as a means to an and - enjoying music. I recognise that others may not feel the same way, and have an open mind in this regard. My caution around buying the CD you mentioned is that Ani Di Franco can be very difficult to listen to, the lyrics hardcore, and the presentation could be deemed offensive - I love it, though!!

As for what I use - the list is a long one. As long as it is something I know well, I'm comfrotable to use it to review. Different pieces will show off faults or strengths in particular areas, so I generally proceed in this vein (use multiple tracks that I know well).

Examples of particular albums - well, you've mentioned a couple here alread, Ray Brown Trio's Superbass, Jeniffer Warnes, The Eagles - all of 'tried and trusted' demo stuff. On the subject of Ani Di Franco, both of the albums I recommended make for brilliant listening experiences, the latest Paula Cole album (COurage), is fantastic ....

C

Cleansound

GD

Ani Di Franco is great,but I have to agree she is an aquired taste.
As for buying records purely for their sonics,I do believe this is wrong,however nothing grates my "donkey" more than having bought a record with big expectations and I am let down by the sonics and end up NEVER playing it.
If you like Jazz then do yourself a favour and get the 45 rpm. re-release by Fantasy records,as for female vocals there is no lack of this on vinyl.
Natalie Merchant,Tift Merrit,Lucinda Williams,Janis Ian-Braking Silence etc,etc,etc.
But the point I would like to make is that the music comes first,but if the sonics are poor it's worthless.
Do yourself a favour and get the Janis Ian,it's from Analogue Productions,simply sublime.

G

Gliding Dutchman

Oooo yes!! I know the Janis Ian BTS album. Geoff used it as the primary demo disc at the 2006 S&V Expo. Great stuff.