Ancient goodies

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
A very close friend and colleague in Spain has decided to start a DIY Turntable restoration/rebuild project together with his son,
consequently he will need a good/fun cartridge for this so I started a browse thrugh my cartridge stash.

I knew there was an unused only mounted and tested Pickering XSV3000, one favourite from the late 70:s

IMG-2001.jpg

That would be a good start, but then I found another interesting piece, an also unused Empire 600LAC so I mounted that in an Audio Technica headshell,
threaded mounting holes, very nice.

IMG-2003.jpg

And a testspin, for function, but also never listened to this cartridge.

IMG-2006.jpg

Kept listening to records for a few hours, this is one very, very good cartridge, strange that I never heard one before.

So now Daniel will have two to use for this project.

Ingvar

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Further rummaging in the cartridge stashes, a bit spread out, this box found in the workshop where there was a B&O MMC 6000, the bigger sister of the later MMC 20CL, didn?t know I had this, will be mounted and tested, hopefully later today.

Ingvar

Ingvar Ahlberg

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Well the B&O MMC 4000 seemed to do what is should, one channel only thou, right channel dead, might be a headshell problem but I think it is a defective cartridge.

Decided to give the Empire a test on Shelter from the storm, Live at Budokan, as my records are sorted alphabeticaly, group name or artist surname i started rumaging through Z but only found Zappa records there and then realized that he changed his name so went for the D section where I first found the 45 RPM double LP edition of Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms so that got a spin.

I wish I found this cartridge before I ventured into the LO Moving Coil swampland, (impossible thou as I already went there in the mid 70:s before this cartridge saw the lights) would never have had the trouble with step up devices, murderous forays inte stop the hum excercises, routing tonearm cables the quitest path possible.

Chance passed as this is already promised for my friend Daniel in Spain (and I woldnt have missed the thrudging through MC swampland for annything over the rainbow)

But a very good cartridge this Empire 600LAC, find one, go for it.

Ingvar

fredeb

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your opinion of this cartridge had me trawling the net this afternoon . Seems this one and the EDR where the pinnacle of Empire carts .

I love my 1000Z/EX , and have 3 more , 2 of which are still brand new sealed in boxes : 999 II M/EX and a 66 P/EX (I think that's the suffix) .