3D mouse recommedations, please

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would like to hear recommendations from users of 3D mouses/mice(!). Preference given to models offering good bang for buck, as it's just for DIY use. Application is navigation inside a 3D drawing/modeling package like Sketchup, etc.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
A brief search tells me that these can be expensive, ranging from around R5K upward. So, perhaps I should include mouses with a trackball. I have no experience with the trackball devices and thus I'm depending on comments from those familiar with them.

kamikazi

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's been a while, but the Catia CAD designers that I've worked with previously were fervent fans of the 3DConnexion space mouse (compact). Tried it a couple of times and it definitely makes life much easier for 3D CAD. For DIY modelling or something like Sketch Up I'm not sure how well it is integrated so it might be debatable whether it would be really worthwhile for the cost. If the integration with it works well and you plan on doing CAD for long stretches of time then it would definitely be worth your while in terms of comfort and time saved.

https://www.amazon.com/3Dconnexion-3DX-700059-Spacemouse-Compact-Mouse/dp/B079V4PXYD?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Bernard

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been using CAD since 1985 and have tried various "mouses" over the years. In the early 1990s I settled on the Logitech range and have never looked back. I'm presently using a Logitech Trackball.

After extensive use I found the 1st switch started going faulty ..... and then the ball didn't track so well ..... it became jerky.

I bought a similar 2nd hand one. Then another 2nd one as a backup. I now had 3.

Then they too, started showing the same problems. I scoured Youtube for months for a solution !!!!

I got a packet of spare switches from the company I often see here when people are looking for electronic parts. They were cheap and easy to solder on.

THEN ..... I found the BEST way to sort out the jerky trackball movements. No need to buy ANYTHING. Youtube is full of fancy mutis and creams and waxes and body oils etc etc ........ which only last for short periods.

At the moment I have 3 of the original M570s and they are working 100% now. I will not trade them for anything and they beat a regular mouse hands down. No comparison.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/740478-REG/Logitech_910_001799_M570_Laser_Wireless_Trackball.html

Prince

AVForums Grandmaster
Staff member
Reaction score
:cool:

I'm not a CAD guy, but for work purposes, I have been using an HP Bluetooth wireless mouse for the past 5years. I'm on my 2nd one at the moment.
This is the model I use, which I found at Raru for R380.
https://raru.co.za/electronics/325699-hp-h2l63aa-comfort-grip-wireless-mouse

IMHO - If you really want to get stuck into CAD, get the Wacom drawing tablets, gives you way more versatility and accuracy with the wireless pen.
Something like this: (My Son has one he uses for CAD and general drawing work)
https://www.takealot.com/wacom-intuos-s-drawing-tablet-black/PLID52100253

But as suggested above, any of the business Logitech mice are well worth the money. I'd look for Bluetooth wireless technology. You can use the mouse on any surface.

:cool:

rodga

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Bernard said:
I've been using CAD since 1985 and have tried various "mouses" over the years. In the early 1990s I settled on the Logitech range and have never looked back. I'm presently using a Logitech Trackball.

After extensive use I found the 1st switch started going faulty ..... and then the ball didn't track so well ..... it became jerky.

I bought a similar 2nd hand one. Then another 2nd one as a backup. I now had 3.

Then they too, started showing the same problems. I scoured Youtube for months for a solution !!!!

I got a packet of spare switches from the company I often see here when people are looking for electronic parts. They were cheap and easy to solder on.

THEN ..... I found the BEST way to sort out the jerky trackball movements. No need to buy ANYTHING. Youtube is full of fancy mutis and creams and waxes and body oils etc etc ........ which only last for short periods.

At the moment I have 3 of the original M570s and they are working 100% now. I will not trade them for anything and they beat a regular mouse hands down. No comparison.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/740478-REG/Logitech_910_001799_M570_Laser_Wireless_Trackball.html

Have 2 m570s myself

What did use to sort yours out?

2wice

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Prince said:
IMHO - If you really want to get stuck into CAD, get the Wacom drawing tablets, gives you way more versatility and accuracy with the wireless pen.
Something like this: (My Son has one he uses for CAD and general drawing work)

I do CAD, drawing tablets are not as productive as a 3D space mouse + mouse.
Try keeping your arm in the air using a drawing tablet, not for long you won't.

Bernard

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree.

I cut my teeth on an IBM CADAM machine when I worked for the Provincial Administration.
We didn't have mice back then and we used an A3 size digitiser ... with a 2nd keyboard with drawing commands (line, arc, spline etc.)

I find the trackball far more comfortable. I do have a small digitiser but I never really use it.

2wice said:
I do CAD, drawing tablets are not as productive as a 3D space mouse + mouse.
Try keeping your arm in the air using a drawing tablet, not for long you won't.

Bernard

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
rodga said:
Have 2 m570s myself

What did use to sort yours out?

I found the trick in utter frustration. lol

I had some special car polish on the ball .. worked for awhile. Then I stripped my m*er.
I took the ball out and rubbed it vigorously up and down the coarse cloth of my typist's chair. Long as possible strokes.
All the while rotating it between my fingers.
I think I basically stripped every coating and body oil from it.

Put it back and ...voila ...... smooth as silk !!!

I have to redo it every month or so. It's obviously a build up of body oil on the surface. Like the build up one gets on keyboard buttons.

Let me know how it goes.

mr_b

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Not working on CAD, but I've been using a Logitech MX Ergo trackball mouse for the last 2 years, and won't be using anything any time soon! It's excellent.

Has a toggle button for fine mode work too.

LOGITECH_MX_ERGO_02.png

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have since acquired an M570. It's currently my home desktop mouse. I find I often have to clean the ball and 3 contact roller insode, due to skin oil and dust accumulation. The left mouse button started developing a double-click and I now have to click from the front, by curling my index finger toward me. From my internet searches I have gathered that the fix is to replace the micro switch.

However, this trackball is just an alternative to a regular mouse, but is not a proper 3D navigator.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's been a while, but the Catia CAD designers that I've worked with previously were fervent fans of the 3DConnexion space mouse (compact). Tried it a couple of times and it definitely makes life much easier for 3D CAD. For DIY modelling or something like Sketch Up I'm not sure how well it is integrated so it might be debatable whether it would be really worthwhile for the cost. If the integration with it works well and you plan on doing CAD for long stretches of time then it would definitely be worth your while in terms of comfort and time saved.

https://www.amazon.com/3Dconnexion-...pact-Mouse/dp/B079V4PXYD?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

This one is on my wish list. I have seen it in action.

Attachments

• 3dmouse.jpg
    3dmouse.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 0

maikeru86

Reaction score
This one is on my wish list. I have seen it in action.
I use this (maybe an earlier version) daily. I like it, but I don't think it's critical for productivity (using it in Solidworks). 2 out of 6 users in our office use it, and those who don't have one don't miss it. It's mostly because when you're modeling, your left hand is on the keyboard for shortcuts and esc most of the time and your right hand is on the mouse.

That being said, It does come in handy when navigating sometimes and it is a different movement than a normal mouse. its handy when showing people you model etc. At the very least it is fun to use. I always highly recommend getting a good mouse first (I use a logitech MX Master 2 currently), but I see you already have a M570.

Bernard

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have since acquired an M570. It's currently my home desktop mouse. I find I often have to clean the ball and 3 contact roller insode, due to skin oil and dust accumulation. The left mouse button started developing a double-click and I now have to click from the front, by curling my index finger toward me. From my internet searches I have gathered that the fix is to replace the micro switch.

However, this trackball is just an alternative to a regular mouse, but is not a proper 3D navigator.
Hi Shaun, I tried all kinds of cleaners and solvents and lubes on my M570s and they all only worked for a few days ... maybe a week. As above, I took the ball out and rubbed it up and down a coarse material. I rotated the ball between my fingers while doing so. It has proved to be the most effective method. I got a couple of switches from RS Electronics ... or maybe the other electronics shop often mentioned on the forum. If it's a weekend, you can fix the switch. I managed it once .... but it's easier and quicker to solder in a new one. There are 4 screws on the bottom cover .... and a 5th under the label under the battery ....Don't ask !!. lol

Attachments

• The Logitech Mouse Double Click Problem and How To Fix It! _ The Red Ferret Journal.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 0

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, Bernard. I had planned on installing a new switch, but this time I used the right button from a faulty mouse. I do have a quantity of 5 switches in my RS basket for the next time I order from them.
Yes, that 5th screw caught me :), but fortunately I found a good blog showing the disassembly process.