Author Topic: Bluetooth Headphones  (Read 1515 times)

Offline LC

Bluetooth Headphones
« on: October 14, 2021, 07:49:29 PM »
I am looking for a set of bluetooth headphones for indoors use mainly. I like listening to most music, but I have an affinity for bass. Having said that, midrange is equally important for me for vocals and instruments. Unfortunately, I have some hearing loss and high frequencies are not too important.

Past experience with headphones is a borrowed set of Sennheiser HD650 - loved them! Just a pity they were not Bluetooth.

ANC (Active Noise Cancelling) is not a deal-breaker. I have tried the Edifier W860NB Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones, which I liked, but after a while, I noticed a bit of an "eco" and did not like them anymore. Perhaps it is because they are closed headphones? Or my hearing problem?

Being a Sennheiser fan, I have also tried the BT450's. They were slightly uncomfortable, warm and bass was too neutral and underwhelming.

Suggestions, please?

Offline resham

Re: Bluetooth Headphones
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 08:45:54 PM »
The Sony WH-1000XM4 is very good. I can offer them, you are welcome to try a demo set I have if you need (Greenstone, JHB)
www.imagica.co.za
AV Custom Installers

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 05:54:20 PM »
The Sony WH-1000XM4 is very good. I can offer them, you are welcome to try a demo set I have if you need (Greenstone, JHB)
"Currently" one of the "End Game" blue tooth headies out there @LC

Enough reviews on the YouTube and Google...just get it! :2thumbs:

Offline Kshah

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 08:34:31 AM »

Being a Sennheiser fan, I have also tried the BT450's. They were slightly uncomfortable, warm and bass was too neutral and underwhelming.

Suggestions, please?

Try the Sennie HD458 - its exactly the HD450 but with red accents - they are way more comfortable (I have bigish ears and I am a 6ft oke).

Battery power is excellent. Sound is pretty decent!

They can be bought for about under 2k now - just check for specials...
Shah

Offline grumpybear

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 09:19:55 AM »
Have a look at the Beyerdynamic Lagoon, not cheap at about 9,500 retail ex however they offer "sound personalization" which will allow you to set them up for best results with your hearing.  Bluetooth, ANC and built in mic with Beyerdynamic sound quality.

Detailed info here
https://global.beyerdynamic.com/lagoon-anc.html

Offline LC

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 12:22:35 PM »
Those Beyer's looks amazing and so does the Sony's. Unfortunately, they are out of my price bracket. I saw the Sennie HD458's but did not know they are comfier than the 450's.

In the meantime, I am using a cheap pair of Volkano Phonic Series Bluetooth Headphones, for the price they are ok. I am still looking for a good sounding set. 

Is there a way to get a DAC linked into a BT system? (erm uhum, not for the Volkano's)

I really like the HD650 Sennies, can it not be converted into Bluetooth?

Offline naboo

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 07:08:54 PM »
We have the Sony and the Sennheizer 450.Sony wins all the way. Sennheiser is ok but very uncomfortable if you're related to Dumbo.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline naughty

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 08:04:54 PM »
Those Beyer's looks amazing and so does the Sony's. Unfortunately, they are out of my price bracket. I saw the Sennie HD458's but did not know they are comfier than the 450's.

In the meantime, I am using a cheap pair of Volkano Phonic Series Bluetooth Headphones, for the price they are ok. I am still looking for a good sounding set. 

Is there a way to get a DAC linked into a BT system? (erm uhum, not for the Volkano's)

I really like the HD650 Sennies, can it not be converted into Bluetooth?

it is easy to do what you want to do but it will cost you but finish off as a far better sounding thing than the Sony and Sennheiser bluetooth headphones - you buy the HD650 then you have to purchase a balanced 2.5" cable for those - you wear the headphones and run the cable into a pocket - but in that pocket you have a Fiio BTR5 (the BTR3-K will work for more efficient headphones) but for the impedance and sensitivity levels of the HD650 you will need the BTR5 - and the BTR5 does more with bluetooth than most of those headphones (maybe the Sony has equal functionlaity)

what you lose from the actual bluetooth headphones is that most of those are closed back - whereas the HD650 is open back - then the actual bluetooth headphones are an all in one but they would be a lot heavier because they have the DAC and amp on them ..... and the biggest problem is that the HD650 won't have active noise cancelling

but given the fair amp  in balanced mode on the BTR5 and then the actual HD650 headphones itself it will sound pretty good but at a price because you need all those items ie the HD650 which is around R8k or thereabouts (new retail) then a good balanced 2.5" cable (between R1000 to R1500 new retail) and also the Fiio BTR5 (which is around R3k new retail) but it will be a pretty decent portable audio experience

the biggest issue you will have when using it on the go is that if anyone is sitting next to you when you use it it will drive them nuts because open back - they will hear the sound as if its a phone speaker playing next to them so i don't advise using that solution on a bus or train or plane even during covid protocols and the next guy is 5 seats away from you - they will still be complaining heavily

with all of the above taken into account i will rather just get the Sony unit at around half the price of that HD650 solution - which has additionally Active noise cancelling and is a closed back unit so you can use it anywhere and also it plays all the formats as the Fiio can - and you can also connect a wire to it and use it as a wired headphone with an external DAC/AMP and phone if you want to - so for me the Sony is a better all round bet but it just wont sound as good as the HD650 but it will be close enough ie better than 90% of the way there anyway ..... bottom line i say stick with the Sony XM4 - if thats too rich for your blood look for a pair of new old stock XM3 because there are only 1 or 2 differences and the sony started getting its rep and fame since the XM3 anyway

Offline Gohde

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 08:22:34 PM »
I agree that itís important to work out what would work best:
- Bluetooth headphones: versatile, but often aimed at travelers in terms of features and cost
- Headphones with Bluetooth receiver: really better for indoor, and less versatile, but better audio quality and ability to use great headphones wired and wireless as needed.

Iím stuck between the two: have nice wired headphones and I bought a Fiio M6 (like a BTR5 but also a DAP and Airplay receiver and cheaper). I thought it would make me take my Hifimanís out of the office, away from the desk, when I listen to music or watch stuff while cooking or other stuff around house. I didnít. I just throw on my B&W P7 wireless. iPad doesnít do any of the good codecs and the P7 sounds great (and isolate a little better when the extractor fan is on). Just turn them on and go. No unplugging and plugging into FIIO and pairing Bluetooth, etc.

Just think about what works best. To throw another contender into the race: B&W PXs pop up regularly used on Carbonite and for less money. I own them, and comparing with my brothersí Sony 1000M3s the ANC was worse, the sound was a little better (richer or warmer too), but the PX isnít made for large heads (clamping harder). But I still love the PXs. If you find a pair of P7 Wireless: still a beautiful headphone with great sound.

Offline gLer

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 10:10:51 PM »
As a Sennheiser fan have you considered the Momentum Wireless 3? Great reviews, great ANC, great build quality, not exorbitantly priced.

Offline ron g

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 07:19:08 AM »
As a Sennheiser fan have you considered the Momentum Wireless 3? Great reviews, great ANC, great build quality, not exorbitantly priced.

& apparently on special at digital experience at the moment:

https://www.digitalexperience.co.za/product/sennheiser-momentum-m3-ie-true-wireless-2-noise-cancelling-headphones/
& you sit there in the rubble, till it starts to feel like home
mary gauthier

Offline gLer

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 07:30:56 PM »

Offline SirAfroPanda

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 09:30:35 PM »
Personally, I would go for the Sony's and call it done. While they may be more expensive than other Bluetooth headphones, they definitely make up for it in comfort and sound quality (at least to my ears). I tried a few cheap BT headphones and they were all cheap for a reason - subpar comfort, cheap feel and below-average sound. Not to mention some of these BT cans have connectivity issues at times if you go too cheap.

Offline WhoIsJOB

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 09:58:14 PM »
What about the B&W PX7 which are on special at a few online shops for R5199?

Seems like value to me - I don't own them, though - interested myself :)
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline LC

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
Time for an update  :groovy: A friend, a non-audiophile, has a set of Skullcandy Hesh Evo cans. I used them for a while and really liked them. The sound was good, the fit comfortable and the bass was there. I saw a good deal on a pair of Skullcandy Cusher headphones and purchased a pair.

I have been listening to them for a while now and am very happy with them.
I am no longer looking for a good set of BT cans, thanks gents for all the input.  :thumbs: