Author Topic: Freenas and sata chipsets  (Read 5894 times)

Offline Prince

Re: Freenas and sata chipsets
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 09:30:17 AM »
the 500gb ide  hdd and the 250gb sata had 0 problems. worked perfectly.

it was the 2tb western digital's that gave me headaches

it was a pentium 4 3Ghz
motherboard ms7142
the onboard chipset was via 8237
plugin card was via 6421

neither the onboard or plugin card sata worked well for the 2TB's

I then bought a sunix sata4000 pci card which had a VERY old bios and it was NOT possible to update the firmware.

I feel your pain man! I need to do the same at home with my current setup, but first need to sort me a 1KVA UPS, cause had some power failures again recently. Not very good for hard drives.

:)
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »
so the next question is which ups's is supported in freenas. I suppose one with usb will be good. For decent shutdown?
* tangmonster goes googling.....

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
so the next question is which ups's is supported in freenas. I suppose one with usb will be good. For decent shutdown?
* tangmonster goes googling.....

Oh boy, you gonna have fun with that one!

The poor UPS implementation in Freenas is what made me move back to Ubuntu. The only UPS I could get to work on Freenas is an APC one, running serial. I couldn't get the same UPS to work in USB (the ups I had had both ports). When I got a bigger UPS, I couldn't get either USB or Serial to work using the megatech protocol. Both work perfectly under Ubuntu using the same version of NUT that is used in Freenas. I wrote it off to a flaky implementation of the Freenss serial IO stack.
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline Prince

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Oh boy, you gonna have fun with that one!

The poor UPS implementation in Freenas is what made me move back to Ubuntu. The only UPS I could get to work on Freenas is an APC one, running serial. I couldn't get the same UPS to work in USB (the ups I had had both ports). When I got a bigger UPS, I couldn't get either USB or Serial to work using the megatech protocol. Both work perfectly under Ubuntu using the same version of NUT that is used in Freenas. I wrote it off to a flaky implementation of the Freenss serial IO stack.

I'm not gonna let freeNAS control the UPS, rather gonna run it off my win 7 PC and just plug the FreeNas PC into the UPS. Makes the hosting so much simpler with a Windows PC and the reason being that the freeNAS PC is only currently being used as a backup PC. So, it only gets switched on for backups and storing of data.

Offline tangmonster

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 10:03:22 AM »
my freenas pc is on 24/7 , with the new microserver's +-35W on hdd spindown i don't even feel guilty.

There is a ups place next to where i work . I will try and talk them into me testing one with usb first and see if it works.

freenas gives a VERY long list of supported ones.

i suppose an el cheapo usb to rs232 converter is just asking for even more trouble. ( use it to program rabbit processors)

But i'll give all these options a try and see which one works.

If/when i find a solution i will post to help others.

off topic:

Just don't hold your breath.
If I buy more stuff this month my wife is going to get angry since I told her it's too expensive for two tickets to Kruger international to visit her parents in Nelspruit next month so she should go alone.

Offline Prince

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
Just don't hold your breath.
If I buy more stuff this month my wife is going to get angry since I told her it's too expensive for two tickets to Kruger international to visit her parents in Nelspruit next month so she should go alone.

-ROFL...

-well, I'm gonna buy a cheapie - will be about R1200 to R1500 depending if I decide to buy a 2KA instead. But, yes, the cheapies use serial only.