Author Topic: Some NAS help  (Read 2579 times)

Offline sofaking

Some NAS help
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:46:10 AM »
Hi

I've been looking into this NAS thing for too long now, months not days or weeks, and as with all things I change my mind half way and decide I don't want 4TB to 6TB anymore, I want 4 bays at least.
Sanity has prevailed, and 2 bays will be enough, probably 4GB is enough too but 6 won't hurt.

I don't mind fiddling with stuff, but I don't want to have to fiddle to make simple things work.

Help me out, what do I want to buy?

Offline Rotten Johnny

Re: Some NAS help
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:07:20 AM »
cheapest and most versatile solution is to get a hp proliant microserver.  It can take up to 5 hdd's and boot of a memory stick, so it'll grow with your needs.  If you're hell bent on NAS functionality install Freenas on it.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:10:22 PM »
The Microserver is brilliant. I picked mine up for R1140 and it's such a bargain. Going to start a NAS build with it when I have some spare time. Might virtualize some servers and see how they perform.

Offline sofaking

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:15:15 AM »
Sounds good, where from at that price?
And should I go with 2 X 4gb from the start, or will a single 4gb be a good enough upgrade to start with?
Its just gonna run an OS and a few web applications.

Also, what hard drives?

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:35:51 AM »
My brother picked it up at the Axis shop from what I can tell (sommer 3, another for himself and for a friend too). I have one 2TB Seagate drive in it for now, but I want to try out ESX or something and play around with some options.

I'd add one 4GB stick to the 1GB.

Offline sofaking

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 08:48:52 AM »
You mean this supposedly R3000 thing, HP ProLiant Microserver AMD II NEO N36L (1.30GHz 2-core) 1CPU 1GB U Ram SATA 250GB ?

And this Axiz, or is there an Axis shop?

Offline sofaking

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 08:50:09 AM »
And how are the Seagate green drives? Or WD?

Offline neilh

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »
GF.A!  ;D (Sleepwalker dude)

Try digitalplanet or HP shop. They should not be more than about 1300 with 1GB RAM and 250GB HDD. I'm currently using freenas booting off a 4GB Flash disk and a 2GB Seagate Green drive

Offline sofaking

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:27:53 AM »
GF.A!  ;D (Sleepwalker dude)

Try digitalplanet or HP shop. They should not be more than about 1300 with 1GB RAM and 250GB HDD. I'm currently using freenas booting off a 4GB Flash disk and a 2GB Seagate Green drive

Hehe, was gonna ask if you're happy with yours, take it you are?

And did you buy it online at hoshop? Cos the local site is crapola, can't even find the product there.
DP doesn't have the item either, or the website is also crapola.

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
I tried looking for the Microservers on HPShop's site and can't find it. I'm wondering if they weren't letting these go 'cause they were clearing stock?
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline sofaking

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:56:01 AM »
I tried looking for the Microservers on HPShop's site and can't find it. I'm wondering if they weren't letting these go 'cause they were clearing stock?

Indeed, but they've probably been clearing them out for over a year, starting in Europe and the US with up to 100 quid cashback deals.
The replacements, whatever they are, won't go for around this price so I'll be taking the great deal I'm getting from Siphiwe.
From the reviews there's not too much wrong with it for my needs, so I won't suffer buyer's remorse when they replace it.

Now to source a couple of drives and some ram.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
For the time being I am working through my old hard drives and organizing data. Amazing how much data one picks up over 15 years and how much stuff can simply be dumped. I'll look at something to host media once I know when I know what media player I'll use after October.

Offline sofaking

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »
Any strong feelings on the green WD versus the Seagate?

R 699   NEW   Seagate® Barracuda™ Green 5900 Series - 2TB Serial ATA III (SATA3) Plus - Serial ATA 600 (6Gbps) With 64MB Cache @ 5900RPM

R 949      WD® Caviar® Green™ 5400 Series - 2TB Serial ATA II - Serial ATA 3Gbps With 32MB Cache @ 5400RPM

The Seagate is well priced and I'm leaning towards that.

Offline ara

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 12:29:10 PM »
If you are going to raid 5 for example then the WD Green drives all the way. If not it doesn't really matter.

Offline neilh

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
Hehe, was gonna ask if you're happy with yours, take it you are?

And did you buy it online at hoshop? Cos the local site is crapola, can't even find the product there.
DP doesn't have the item either, or the website is also crapola.

Yip, very happy. Just need more bucks at the end of next month so I can fill the bays. I bought from hpshop. PM tube at the other place. He's staff and can get some discount.

Incedentally, hpshop=digitalplanet. Same building, same ordering process