Author Topic: Front and centre speakers are humming/buzzing  (Read 3379 times)

Offline naks

Front and centre speakers are humming/buzzing
« on: September 25, 2021, 08:06:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with an issue with my setup.

Just got back home after a week away, and now noticed that my speakers are humming/buzzing when I switch on my T777v3 (complete silence in standby).

There was a BluOS update, which I ran yesterday, and I'm pretty sure the humming wasn't present before that - could that be the cause?

The hum is coming from the front towers (PSB Imagine T2s) and the centre speaker (PSB Image C5). It's very audible when I mute the sound, but can also be heard when listening to movies where the characters are whispering.

I have done a power cycle, but no success.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue will be most appreciated, thanks.

Update: By toggling the ARC settings, the buzzing stops, but the humming is still there. The same thing when I disable the Input in the menu.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 08:35:24 AM by naks »
LG OLED55C7, Oppo UDP-203, NAD T777v3, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub

Offline naks

Re: Front and centre speakers are humming/buzzing
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 08:42:14 AM »
Update: When I mute the output, some of the buzzing disappears, but the low-frequency humming is still present.
LG OLED55C7, Oppo UDP-203, NAD T777v3, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub

Offline HB

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 08:46:56 AM »
Have you removed all inputs?
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take it!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline naks

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 09:20:03 AM »
Have you removed all inputs?

You mean unplug & replug all HDMI cables?

Not yet - this was going to be my next move, as it's a bit of a PITA accessing the back.

I've also noticed that my T777 keeps finding a BluOS upgrade, but afterwards the version stays the same. I think this might be related?

Offline naks

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 11:58:11 AM »
Seeing that FP3 was cancelled, I just did the following:

First I unplugged ALL inputs & outputs (HDMI, RCA, etc.), no success.

Then I disconnected all the speakers, and then reconnected them, no success.

Then I unplugged the unit from my AC Furman conditioner and plugged it straight into the wall outlet, no success.

Then I unplugged all the other equipment on the same power line, no success.

I even switched off the pool and the geyser at the Mains Switchboard to rule out AC interference, still no success.

When I do a BluOS reset, the version does not change - is that normal?

So, is it the amp then?  :help:

Offline HB

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 12:18:35 PM »
Eish.  :be: Unfortunately it seems as though it's the amp based on your trial and error process. I am no expert and certainly wouldn't rule out software.
Either way it seems you need to have it checked out.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:20:43 PM by HB »
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take it!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline naks

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 01:14:33 PM »
I also did a Factory Reset, no change

A few owners also report the same issue on the AVS Forums, with many having troubleshooted the same way and even further - someone even moved the AVR to another house!

Will take it up with the shop, I hope they will come to the party and help resolve this.

Offline Phase

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 01:40:42 PM »
I also did a Factory Reset, no change

A few owners also report the same issue on the AVS Forums, with many having troubleshooted the same way and even further - someone even moved the AVR to another house!

Will take it up with the shop, I hope they will come to the party and help resolve this.

Will be interesting to see how this ends?

Online Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 02:48:01 PM »
Same issues with the NAD T778 - even worse.
As I have said before, NAD knows how to make a good amp, unfortunately they know diddly squat from software.

I hope the dealer helps you .......

Offline naks

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 03:06:01 PM »
Same issues with the NAD T778 - even worse.
As I have said before, NAD knows how to make a good amp, unfortunately they know diddly squat from software.
I hope the dealer helps you .......

You might be on the money here: although I only had the unit 2 days before I left to go on holiday, I'm fairly sure that the hum/buzz was not there, and only appeared after I did the BluOS update yesterday when I got back.

Having said that, this is what a dealer told me about the T778 having many issues:

"All I can say is bullocks...
We have sold between 40 and 50 units since a little bit more than a year ago and we have had NO issues whatsoever
Due to the excellent streaming capability and fast processors used in the unit, the issues we had were wi-fi and internet based where client’s networks do not deliver the basics that are required!
Dirac is direct on-line internet reliant and if the internet is not of a certain standards there will be issues..."

Offline AlleyCat

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 03:52:32 PM »
Try plugging the unit in another wall plug that is not on the same circuit.

I had a pre amp that was 'motorboating', showing similar signs, heard it through both speakers,  drove me nuts - tried everything like you did. Had another PS Audio unit, plugged it into a plug on a different circuit, further away, put the amp in there, and all OK. Give it a try.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline naks

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 04:28:02 PM »
Try plugging the unit in another wall plug that is not on the same circuit. ...

yep, tried that as well by running an extension from the kitchen, which is not on the inverter circuit - no change.

Two more tests I ran: the noise is still there even if I switch off the Centre channel in the Speaker setup, and changing the gain on that channel has no effect on the noise level.

So even with the centre speaker disabled, there is still a signal being sent to it, and it seems that signal is constant!?

Online Drifter

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2021, 04:37:19 PM »
You might be on the money here: although I only had the unit 2 days before I left to go on holiday, I'm fairly sure that the hum/buzz was not there, and only appeared after I did the BluOS update yesterday when I got back.

Having said that, this is what a dealer told me about the T778 having many issues:

"All I can say is bullocks...
We have sold between 40 and 50 units since a little bit more than a year ago and we have had NO issues whatsoever
Due to the excellent streaming capability and fast processors used in the unit, the issues we had were wi-fi and internet based where client’s networks do not deliver the basics that are required!
Dirac is direct on-line internet reliant and if the internet is not of a certain standards there will be issues..."

:BWAHAHAH:

Offline naks

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 07:05:37 PM »
:BWAHAHAH:
Well, I didn't respond as such, but my thoughts exactly.

If I told you who said that, you wouldn't believe me - one of the most respected figures in AV locally.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Offline naks

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 08:16:32 AM »
chaps, any other troubleshooting tips for me?

I'm even considering taking the AVR to someone else's house to see if it's something in my environment that's causing this.