Author Topic: NAS Software  (Read 1437 times)

Offline ara

NAS Software
« on: May 24, 2011, 03:12:42 PM »
I though of starting a little Pros/Cons on the different NAS solutions that are available. I have used a couple of solutions but the main ones I like currently are FreeNAS and now NexentaStor (I have been monitoring for the last six months) while other people like to use headless Ubuntu. There is also a fourth solution that is very promising that I'm monitoring. I thought I'll put a little Pros and Cons between FreeNAS and Nexenta and perhaps Gert or Evan can put togther a Pros and Cons for Ubuntu to help people decide.

FreeNAS:
Pros:
Very easy to use and install
Lots of build in services like rSync, iScsi, etc that is ready to use and configure by any level of user
Nice WebGUI interface
Support for ZFS version 13
NFS and SAMBA shares

Cons:
For true ZFS support you need 64-bit installed and then you can't install Squeezebox Server
Speed according to Gert  ;D

Nexenta:
Pros:
Tagline of Nexenta (Power of Solaris with usability of Linux) --> That is for Gert  ;D it got things like APT-GET, etc.
Lots of build in services like rSync, iScsi, etc that is ready to use and configure by any level of user
Nice WebGUI interface
Support for ZFS version 28 with de-duplication, snap shots, etc.
NFS and SAMBA shares
Can be installed on a mirrored drive for redundancy of OS (without any difficulty)
Extremely good speed
Can run Squeezebox Server

Cons:
Can not be installed on Flash drives (actually it can but the WebGUI is then very slow so not recommended) therefore uses up 1 drive for the OS.

A link explaining ZFS and one of the main reasons that I go these routes for dat redundancy. http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/technology/features/article.php/3849556
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:34:42 PM by ara »

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
Re: NAS Software
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »
You're not helping, you know... We need ONE that does it all, not more and more options, pheeww! :-\

;)
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 03:34:02 PM »

Speed according to Gert  ;D

:D To rephrase: FreeNAS doesn't have the driver support of Ubuntu so you are limited to hardware that's implicitly supported. Most mobo's come with Realtek network chips on board and support for this is bleak under FreeNAS. With the right hardware, it's a solid performer (as you have shown here). I tried FreeNAS again after I got my Microserver and really liked it, till I had top get my UPS going. Two fruitless nights wasted saw me going back to Ubuntu...

Once you have some kind of guide to follow (reminder: I must update mine) headless Ubuntu is only slightly more involved to setup than FreeNAS. Granted, going in blind is challenging if you know little about Ubuntu (and I'm far from an expert). The bonus is that you get the benefit of a massive hardware support base, so you can use pretty much any hardware without performance issues.
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline ara

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
I must get myself an UPS and try this... Both Ubuntu and FreeNAS uses NUT so it is funny that it was not working. The only very big downside of Ubuntu is that:
1. They could not implement ZFS (and I think that they abbondend it)
2. The have been developing there own file system to compete with ZFS. The only problem is that thye have been doing it for 4 years and it seems that they are going to do it for another 10years.

I think you will like NexentaStor because you have got all the pretties and then and then you have bash#> which you like  ;)

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »
I must get myself an UPS and try this...

Get yourself another screen while you at it, the one you have is bound to get a fist through it.

Both Ubuntu and FreeNAS uses NUT so it is funny that it was not working.

The issue is not NUT per se but the USB driver. Maybe I'm just too stoopid (distinct possibility)

I think you will like NexentaStor because you have got all the pretties and then and then you have bash#> which you like  ;)

Thanks, I'll give it a bash :D (cringe)
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline ara

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:33:59 PM »
Get yourself another screen while you at it, the one you have is bound to get a fist through it.

You know where I can get my laptops screen repaired  ???

Just kidding. It is running nicely except for MusicIP that if thought was working but is not entirely working. Spend six hours last night  trying to get it working and all I can say damn the internet is huge but I think I covered about 5% of the pages last night  ;D.