Author Topic: Most reliable HDD?  (Read 10002 times)

Offline Enigma_2k4

Re: Most reliable HDD?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
Myself and quite a few of my buddies seem to have had issues with the 2T drives (Seagate or WD), I've personally lost 2. I think they just run alot hotter! I have 2 1.5T's a 1T and a 5year old 320G and they are all OK.

IMO, I'd go for seagate or WD 1.5T drives at the moment. Also, the 1.5T drives give the best rand per gig.

The eco green drives we are seeing now (which are essentially just slow 5400RPM drives yeah?), are they potentially "safer" due to the slower RPM, they might have less failures?

Offline Andrew

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »
I see the WD comes with a 3 year warranty, so it seems they have at least some faith in their product. Can't see anything for Seagate, though they also come very highly recommended.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline johnc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • It's only rubbish until you need it.
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
Also, the 1.5T drives give the best rand per gig.
And I think U2 get the most rands per gig.

I see the WD comes with a 3 year warranty, so it seems they have at least some faith in their product. Can't see anything for Seagate, though they also come very highly recommended.
Just looking at the website, the WD black comes with a 5 year warranty.

BTW, in what way does the black offer better performance? They all seem to be 7200rpm. Larger cache, but is there significant improvement? I'm looking at getting a new PC and the 500GB WD black looks like a good choice, going for about R550. I prefer large externals for media so 500GB would be more than adequate for OS and games etc.
Go to the centre of the gravity's pull, and find your planet you will.

Offline Prince

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
Over the past 15 years or so of rolling my own PC's I'd name Hitachi & Seagate as the most reliable driives I've used and Samsung as the absolute worst.  IMHO Samsung is the way to go if you want to be sure you'll lose your data at some point - I've had issues with their 250GB, 400GB and laptop drives and it's fair to say I'd NEVER buy a Samsung drive again - there's a reason they're cheaper than the rest.  Hitachi is my 1st choice.

I agree on the Hitachi drives. I still have one that I bought with my first PC. Not currently running in any PC, but I'm sure if I connect it, it will just spin up. Hitachi bought "Big Blue's" hard drive factory, so they used to be called IBM Deskstar. The Deskstar name remained and IBM replaced by Hitachi.

I have to say that the current quality of hard drives ranging from about 250gb to say 2tb, really depends on one major factor. How these drives are transported and delivered to the retailers, who sell them. As, an example, I bought 2 x 500gb Seagate hard drives from different retailers and one failed within the 1st year. Luckily, for me it was not a disk crash, but a S.M.A.R.T failure, ie the Reallocated Sectors Count was high. The drive ran out of sectors to move the data off the bad sectors to good sectors.
see this link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. on more info.
A free program I use for monitoring the health of my hard drives is:
-Crystal diskinfo -http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html -well worth installing.

IMHO as with any electronic equipment especially hard drives, the biggest advice would be backup your data regulary OR RAID/Mirror your hard drives. So, in the event of a failure, data recovery can be accomplished. Downtime at home level is not a factor, so a cheapie solution also can work. This also helps in the case of theft.

My personal preference of hard drives have always been Seagate, WD or Hitachi. I have recently bought a Samsung drive for my son, so we will see how long that lasts, as it gets thrashed weekends playing Fifa 2011.

my 5bob!!

:)
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011, 01:30:02 PM »

I have to say that the current quality of hard drives ranging from about 250gb to say 2tb, really depends on one major factor. How these drives are transported and delivered to the retailers
Add to that treatment at the retailer. I try wherever possible to source from the agent or distributor, at least that way you've a better chance of the drives having been properly handled prior to your obtaining them.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Prince

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2011, 01:31:52 PM »
Add to that treatment at the retailer. I try wherever possible to source from the agent or distributor, at least that way you've a better chance of the drives having been properly handled prior to your obtaining them.

-definitely. Dealer prices beat Retail any day!!

;)
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
-definitely. Dealer prices beat Retail any day!!

;)
yep, that too
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.