Author Topic: Most reliable HDD?  (Read 9812 times)

Offline Andrew

Most reliable HDD?
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:36:48 PM »
Am looking to do some serious backing up/storage and will be needing a 2TB HDD. Been quite some time since I went the PC separates route, but remember that Seagate and Western Digital always had the best reputation. From what I've seen so far 2TB seems to be the current maximum size, which in my mind means it might be more vulnerable to data corruption issues, because it's at current technology's limits. Comments?

Edit: Ooops, I'm wrong, just found a 3TB one.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline Mervin

Re: Most reliable HDD?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »
3TB is currently the largest... look for the highest MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) which is normally server/RAID drives
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline ara

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:43:33 PM »
There is really nothing to choose between Seagate (except for that firmware issue about 2 years ago), WD and Samsung. I have owned a lot of drives in recent time and not 1 is giving more issues than the the next. Currently prefer the WD Green drives as I can set and unset certain "parameters" that I like to do. The other drives is more "closed". If I have to buy now it would be the WD Black 2TB because the prices have come so much down and is the closest drive you will get to enterprise levels without the price tag associated.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »
Kewl, tks for feedback.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 03:09:07 PM »
I thought Google debunked the whole "enterprise grade" myth pretty thoroughly. Drives tend to fail either early, or from long use a couple of years down the line. Not much difference between consumer vs enterprise, though keeping them cool and on clean power helps. Generally though, they're unreliable so you should always have a multi-tiered backup strategy. Just buy two of whatever big-name brand meets your performance and capacity requirements.

Offline ara

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »
I thought Google debunked the whole "enterprise grade" myth pretty thoroughly. Drives tend to fail either early, or from long use a couple of years down the line. Not much difference between consumer vs enterprise, though keeping them cool and on clean power helps.

True and false. You try and use a "Desktop" drive on most hardware raid controllers and you will have endless drive drop outs and all sort of other issues. The way the head parks, spin-up, etc is all different between the various drives. Failure rates might be fairly close in the beggining of the life cycle but do stagger out over time in favour of enterpise drives.

Generally though, they're unreliable so you should always have a multi-tiered backup strategy. Just buy two of whatever big-name brand meets your performance and capacity requirements.

Very true. Also best to buy the drives from different places to avoid the same batch. I once bought 8 samsung drives and was very impressed that the serial numbers was so in sequence. Lost 6 of the 8 drives  :( and it was later discoverred after speaking to the people that they where having lots of problems with that batch of drives.

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 03:58:42 PM »
Maxtor was bought by Seagate so some drivers from Seagate are actually Maxtor.

Enterprise drive generally cost much more than 8-5 (60 degrees C) Desktop drives, offer 24x7 operation, run up 70 degrees C and have 3-5 year warrantees.
Your best bet would be to go for a at least 2 AV series drive from either Western Digital or Seagate and to make 2 copies if the information is important. 1 Drive for use and 1 for safe keeping.

Portable drive often get abused physically by transporting them and by running hot due to limited air circulation/cooling.

Cool dry air / not being moved - not needing to adapt to different atmospheric conditions and maybe a RAID 1/5 should yield best backup solution.

Most Desktop drives some via USB offer SMART monitoring. This includes early warning signs and also the total time a disk has been on...

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:34:06 PM by gbyleveldt »

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »
Over the past 15 years or so of rolling my own PC's I'd name Hitachi & Seagate as the most reliable driives I've used and Samsung as the absolute worst.  IMHO Samsung is the way to go if you want to be sure you'll lose your data at some point - I've had issues with their 250GB, 400GB and laptop drives and it's fair to say I'd NEVER buy a Samsung drive again - there's a reason they're cheaper than the rest.  Hitachi is my 1st choice.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 05:33:03 PM »
Oops was in a hurry and attached wrong screenshot. Mods can you delete my previous attachment. Wanted to ad a smart monitoring screenshot...

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 05:59:28 PM »
Oops was in a hurry and attached wrong screenshot. Mods can you delete my previous attachment. Wanted to ad a smart monitoring screenshot...
  ;), and surely that's an android screenshot rather than an iphone?

Offline Johan

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:13:04 PM »
When in doubt do what the big guys (PC manufacturers) do....

I work for a company where we have a couple hundred workstations that we supply and look after for customers and one of the requirements are that they need to run 24x7x365...... and believe me they do run 24x7x365!

I can tell you that the trend I have noticed are that these workstations mainly have WD hard drives in them where in the past they were mainly SG.

I have also noticed that drive failures have gone down allot.....

Personally at home I have a WD Black 1TB and I love it to bits, I also have one of the older generation 320GB SG hard drives and its still running after 5 years without any issues, Samsung in the Mede8er.....damn slow... and a Hitachi in the Laptop that has dropped a couple of times and still going.
Look for Mean Time Between Failures (as suggested) and also for online reviews.

Offline LAV

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »
IMHO drive reliability has become a lot better in recent years. Whatever you decide to do, as long as you have a good backup habit, the rest is not too much of an issue. Highly available highly redundant disk arrays are still pretty much priced for the large corporate market...
Vaal Triangle (Southern Gauteng)

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
and surely that's an android screenshot rather than an iphone?
its a android theme for iphone...

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »
its a android theme for iphone...
now that's an honest iphone - an android wannabe  ;D

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »

HAha, I thought you were tying to show off :D
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)