Author Topic: Building my own NAS and BT Box  (Read 9859 times)

Offline Enigma_2k4

Building my own NAS and BT Box
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »
Hi all,

I have one of these lying around at home:
http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/product_info.php?cPath=50_51&products_id=39991

Now I am considering building myself a little NAS box with a BT client using it.

1. What's the best way to go about it?
2. What size mobo fits in this little monster?
3. I have an old AMD Athlon 300+ CPU, any chance I could use that to reduce costs? However, offhand I think a atom machine would be best.
4. What linux OS could/should I use?
5. How do I make it really power efficeint?
6. How can I make it shut down the HDD's when not in use (I'd boot into the OS off a flash)

I do know that the cheapest and probably smartest option is to just get one of these:
8 bay RAID NAS for 3k

Offline neilh

Re: Building my own NAS and BT Box
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
I've been looking around for a while now, so far the Synology stuff looks awesome but with an awesome price toboot. 3,5k for the 2 bay and 6k for the 4 bay unit. Natively does uPnP and DLNA and can be used with newsgroup/SABnzbd/SickBeard

Offline Enigma_2k4

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:49:57 AM »
I've been looking around for a while now, so far the Synology stuff looks awesome but with an awesome price toboot. 3,5k for the 2 bay and 6k for the 4 bay unit. Natively does uPnP and DLNA and can be used with newsgroup/SABnzbd/SickBeard

Oooooh!
/drool

That is awesome, but dam pricey! Surely there must be linux based OS's around that can do that natively.

Offhand I reckon I'd need:
Atom board + CPU - R600
SATA expansion board (4 additional bays + raid 0/1/0+1) - R400
16GB flash - R200 or 16G SSD - R400
Wireless Dongle??? Research needed....

I already have the HDD's...

Would love to have something with FTP so I could access it from work / my phone. Would even cooler still if I could addess the BT / newsgroup client to add/pause DL's... That would be so neat to access from my phone!

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:53:02 AM »
When I started off I used Freenas. It really is pretty cool and offers everything you could possibly need in a NAS box, including booting off a flash drive by default. The problem is that they always seem a generation behind on what FreeBSD is doing, so I ran into hardware compatibility issue that just drove me totally nuts. I ended up going to Ubuntu server (real men don't need no stinkin' GUI) and this really took the performance of the box to excellent levels. I'm running softRAID on my 4 * 2TB disks, I've got 2GB ram (no need though) and a celeron CPU with a 35W TDP that sits idle most of the time. It also runs off a dedicated ups that is monitored by the NAS so will safely shutdown when the Mains fails. When idle the box draws very little power so it stays on all the time.
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline Enigma_2k4

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:00:16 AM »
Wow, sounds excellent! So you have something like this board from intel

Slap on a small celeron, boof off flask and viola!

Offline ara

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »
Hi all,

I have one of these lying around at home:
http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/product_info.php?cPath=50_51&products_id=39991

Now I am considering building myself a little NAS box with a BT client using it.

1. What's the best way to go about it?
2. What size mobo fits in this little monster?
3. I have an old AMD Athlon 300+ CPU, any chance I could use that to reduce costs? However, offhand I think a atom machine would be best.
4. What linux OS could/should I use?
5. How do I make it really power efficeint?
6. How can I make it shut down the HDD's when not in use (I'd boot into the OS off a flash)

I do know that the cheapest and probably smartest option is to just get one of these:
8 bay RAID NAS for 3k

FreeNAS is very nice with a BT client and a host of other services including a slimserver. The only problem is that FreeNAS (and for that matter many of the Linux OS) loves an Intel NIC over an Realtek. You do get though Intel NIC's to buy for R 250 - R 900 that work very well. I have a FreeNAS box with 8*1.5TB drives and 2x2TB drives running constantly using an Intel Atom based motherboard. You can also get low powered Intel and AMD processors. FreeNAS is able to shutdown your HDD, etc.

Other options are OpenFiler, Nexenta, Ubuntu Server, etc.

I have to say I have not had one Hardware compatibility issue with FreeNAS so far and it is very easy to use. FreeNAS 8 is going to be even better once they are done (they now have a company that is investing lot of time and money into FreeNAS while still keeping it open source.

Offline dotVIBE

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 11:07:42 AM »

Slap on a small celeron, boof off flask and viola!

i myself enjoy the odd flask boof -ing.
Town of the Cape

Offline Enigma_2k4

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 11:08:50 AM »
i myself enjoy the odd flask boof -ing.

LOL, It's been a hellish week OK :P

I will do some more research on FreeNAS now and see what's going on...

Offline Johan

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 12:41:42 PM »
I'm also interested in building my own NAS,

I have read however that the chap that made FreeNas is now working on a new project located here:
http://blog.openmediavault.org/
Apparently much more support for newer technologies and vendors like Realtek will be included.

I started to gather some spares to build my NAS:

Intel Gardendale H67 Board - to be swapped by supplier once Sandy issue has been resolved
Corsair 4GB Ram (overkill but alas so cheap!)
Core i5 2500k
Lian-Li A04 Chassis - up to 7x 3.5" HDD
350 W Powersupply

The CPU and Ram is overkill in the above specs, the reason is that this setup will be used as a normal workstation for the time and then the CPU transferred to a high end setup once this Sandy issue has been resolved and decent motherboards become available.
Also the Core i3 entry level processors should be available at that time as well.
This also gives me some time to get some HDD's....looking at 4x2TB in the interim.
The OS will be running off a small 80GB HDD i have laying around.

Offline Timber_MG

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »
Intel Gardendale H67 Board - to be swapped by supplier once Sandy issue has been resolved
Corsair 4GB Ram (overkill but alas so cheap!)
Core i5 2500k
Lian-Li A04 Chassis - up to 7x 3.5" HDD
350 W Powersupply

That is quite a high end machine for a NAS there. Something one could perhaps use as an iSCSI target for a virtualization setup.

Offline Prince

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
I'm also using freeNAS, but the PC does not run constantly. Its only online once a week for backups. The PC spec is as follows:

Intel 945 LG775 mobo
2.6Ghz Celeron Processor
160Gb Sata hard drive -FreeNAS OS
500Gb Sata hard drive -Data drive

-future developments will be upgrading to RAID -most probably 3 to 4 x 1/1.5Tb drives and creating a live music server share.

-all I can say is its very stable.

:)
"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline Johan

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 08:16:22 PM »
That is quite a high end machine for a NAS there. Something one could perhaps use as an iSCSI target for a virtualization setup.

Once the entry LGA1155 core i3 processors come out I'll be getting one of these.
Other reason for this setup is the low power consumption of these processors and boards and to be a bit future proof.
Reason i did not go the Mini-ITX route would be that there is not much expandability in the current available boards.
iSCSI would be nice but I'll have to upgrade the network then... :)

Offline Prince

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 08:51:58 AM »
Once the entry LGA1155 core i3 processors come out I'll be getting one of these.
Other reason for this setup is the low power consumption of these processors and boards and to be a bit future proof.
Reason i did not go the Mini-ITX route would be that there is not much expandability in the current available boards.
iSCSI would be nice but I'll have to upgrade the network then... :)

-and iSCSI ain't cheap!!
-there also the new standard in SCSI hard drives - SAS - Serial Attached Scsi hard drives. Some more info below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_attached_SCSI
-I'd rather look at Enterprise SATA drives, a bit more robust and slightly more expensive, but hard to come by at suppliers.

Offline Enigma_2k4

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 10:39:53 AM »
Hmmm, so much information, so many possibilities! Dam it sometimes sucks being a nerd....

Offline Prince

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 02:06:40 PM »
Hmmm, so much information, so many possibilities! Dam it sometimes sucks being a nerd....

-tell me about it!!