Author Topic: Copper pipe speaker stands?  (Read 11782 times)

Offline user-name

Copper pipe speaker stands?
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »
I've been thinking of building some speaker stands for my MA BX2s. I was thinking of constructing the stands from 22mm copper pipes, copper t-pieces and elbow joints. I was going to fill all but one leg with sand and use the remaining one to run cabling through. Aesthetics are a pretty big consideration and a lot of the stands I have seen aren't really to my taste.

I know that this probably is not the best design in terms of acoustic properties, but will it do?

The basic idea is as below:

Any thoughts?

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
Re: Copper pipe speaker stands?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »
Speaker stands made from copper tubing will be a magnet to burglars.

mafioso
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline ingenieus

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:16:19 PM »
Looks like a swell idea. Wish I had thought of it. Go ahead and build it. Can't see why it would not work.  :2thumbs:

PS: For those who insist that speaker stands absolutely have to be ferrous, the principle will work with good old galvanized pipes as well. You can paint them in the same way that you paint your galvanized roof and burglars will leave them behind when they steal the rest of the system. If only because they are heavy. True story: a friend had his pre-amp stolen but the power amp was unplugged but then left behind.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:21:50 PM by ingenieus »

Offline user-name

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:58:33 PM »
Thanks. Have the pipe, elbows and tees will post pics when I'm done.  :)

Any reason I shouldn't fill with gravel rather than sand (looking for a less messy solution)...

Offline user-name

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:49:20 AM »
Copper pipe speaker stands completed - filled with sand, just need to run cabling up one of the legs.  :)

Offline ingenieus

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »
Looks good!  :2thumbs:

A small reminder of what comes next.  :whip:

Offline Des Miles

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:01:26 PM »
Finished stands came out looking good, better than I would have thought. Are all the joints on the elbows and T pieces etc. secured in any way (adhesive)? I would polish the stands to a high luster and then spray them with clear lacquer to prevent them from tarnishing. I suppose you could spray them any colour , but that would defeat the whole purpose of using copper! How much did it cost you for all the copper material?
I saw Sputnik, well... actually the booster rocket that went into orbit with it!!

Offline user-name

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 03:16:39 PM »
I used about 10m of copper pipe, 16 tees and 16 elbows. The resulting stands are about 85cm high, have a square top with a side length of about 18cm and a square base with a side length of about 40cm.

The copper pipe is about R250 per 5.5m length, the tees were about R12 a pop, the elbows were about R7 a pop. So the stands cost about R800 all told. Not the cheapest DIY option in the end I guess  :facepalm: I guess steel pipe may be cheaper.... I'm pleased with the results though and the assembly is very very easy (as long as you have a tube cutter). Tube cutter looks like this

I did use an adhesive (Pratley Quickset Clear Glue). I also sealed up the two tees on either end of the one leg that I am running the cabling through in order that I could still fill the remainder with sand. I used silicon sealer to create a plug in the pipe. Also used silicon sealer to help when I filled the stands with sand. I glued all the joints except the ones joining the legs to the top, and then I filled the legs (shaking to get the sand to spread into the base. I capped the legs off with silicon so that I could turn them upside down and slot them into the already filled tops...

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 03:19:51 PM »
Looks great. Nice neat setup!

:2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline ingenieus

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
Would one of these pipe cutters suffice?

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
Not pretty cuts at all...

Does your amp not get hot? Prestik between stands and speakers and floors prolly a good idea
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:56 AM »
P.s. was referring to the hacksaw ito pretty cuts
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline user-name

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 01:20:10 PM »
Yeah the pipe cutter is a much neater solution.

Regarding heat and the amp, it seems fine. The photos don't really show it, but there's a gap few centimetres high above the amp for air to flow through, and of course the back is open too.

Offline SeanS

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »
nice, I hope you have some sort of non slip pad / prestik between the speaker & stand, looks like it could be slippery otherwise.

Offline Stu_Mack

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »
Why didn't you solder the joints together?  :cleansound: