Author Topic: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club  (Read 280926 times)

Offline amirm

Re: The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club
« Reply #1290 on: October 22, 2017, 08:39:04 PM »
Our Capacitor review meeting was instructive.   Jozua presented an illustrated explanation of the various types of capacitors available and discussed their effect on loudspeaker performance.  The presentation file is available from this link - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By22-wi-jaVZQXR6ZW5OYi03N2c/view?usp=sharing
That was a well-done presentation.  Thanks for sharing.

Alas, the comments about audibility are badly in need of controlled testing.  Higher end capacitors always "look like they will sound better" more than they can or do.  :)  In addition, capacitors are not precise components so when you swap them, you may actually be changing the circuit transfer function more than any impact from the "betterness" of the capacitor.

I know of one published controlled testing on capacitors at AES.  I did a write-up on it.  See here: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/aes-paper-digest-audio-capacitors-myth-or-reality.176/

And this key part:

"The initial ABX tests involved a panel of fourteen volunteer listeners comprising students and staff in the University. The listeners generally found the tests to be very difficult and quite tiring, and in general, the results from the initial ABX tests gave no usable outcome.

One surprising feature of the tests was that during the initial training part of the tests where the electrolytic capacitor was compared with a film capacitor, and the difference was fairly audible, many of the listeners were unable to correctly identify A or B. In the second part of the tests, where the differences in audio delivery from the two film capacitors was much more subtle, the panel was unable to correctly identify A or B and no useful results were obtained.

Translating that into English, the "easy" case turned out not to be so. What was obvious to the people who created the test, was not to the people taking the test blind. Difficulty of telling the caps apart went through the roof when the two capacitors were of the same kind, i.e. purpose of this test. The testers failed to tell the capacitors apart in double blind ABX test.
----

There is a second part to the test which is too complicated to summarize here.  I will go ahead to quote my summary:

Conclusion
My personal conclusion is that they proved one and only one thing: that when blind tested properly using ABX listeners failed to hear a difference between generic and fancy film capacitor. Maybe a different test would be more revealing. But for now, that is the only valid part of the paper. Preference tests are not appropriate and defensible when not backed by statistical analysis that can demonstrate if listeners were randomly voting or not.

----

Bottom line, do some controlled testing to confirm assumptions.  Have someone randomly switch the caps and run 8-10 trials to see if you can tell something has changed.  No sense in spending so much more money for spendy capacitors if your ears and your ears alone can't confirm anything has improved.

Offline rogvel

« Reply #1291 on: October 23, 2017, 01:16:37 PM »
Hi. Is this club up and running? I am new to this forum. Thanks .

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #1292 on: October 23, 2017, 03:04:24 PM »
Yes, its been going since 2014.  If you email capetownhificlub@gmail.com I'll add you to the distribution list

The next meeting is on Wednesday 8th November at a dealer in Bellville and a notification will be sent out soon
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #1293 on: October 23, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »
Yes, its been going since 2014.  If you email capetownhificlub@gmail.com I'll add you to the distribution list

The next meeting is on Wednesday 8th November at a dealer in Bellville and a notification will be sent out soon

AAAAaaaa nice!! my side of the world. Remember to bring your passports and to put your phone on roaming when you enter BELLVVILLEEEEE guys!!!  :tongue: and red robots means full speed ahead!! ooo what, that's for the taxi's..... hhmmmmm  :giggle:
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #1294 on: October 23, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »
Is that why they say that the CY numberplate means come to Belville and See Why?
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline 2wice

« Reply #1295 on: October 23, 2017, 05:02:40 PM »
Is that why they say that the CY numberplate means come to Belville and See Why?
The arrow goes to Parow.

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #1296 on: October 23, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »
Sounds better than ‘the myCiti bus goes to Parow’.  Always found public transport in Cape Town and the surroundings much more easy to use than here in Durban although you take your life in your hands with either sets of taxis (I haven’t taken the trains for years but did use CT metro rail out to Stellenbosch a few times on the commuter run - very easy and quicker than my colleague who chickened out and hired a car last minute.
The Philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways.  The point, however, is to change it.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #1297 on: October 23, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »

hahahahaha!! Jip!!! just like that!! :rubhands:

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1298 on: October 24, 2017, 08:04:25 AM »
We drive in convoy and the lead car has a flashing blue light.  Seems to work

Offline jeinnor

« Reply #1299 on: October 24, 2017, 08:05:43 AM »

Haha

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1300 on: October 24, 2017, 08:08:06 AM »
Sounds better than ‘the myCiti bus goes to Parow’.  Always found public transport in Cape Town and the surroundings much more easy to use than here in Durban although you take your life in your hands with either sets of taxis (I haven’t taken the trains for years but did use CT metro rail out to Stellenbosch a few times on the commuter run - very easy and quicker than my colleague who chickened out and hired a car last minute.

The trains are terrible now.  If they run at all, then you battle to get on, the carriage is infested with pickpockets and the train often stops for 10 mins for no reason at all

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #1301 on: October 24, 2017, 08:42:20 AM »
We drive in convoy and the lead car has a flashing blue light.  Seems to work

We will have welcome party when you guys enter the Boere wors carton.  :tongue:

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #1302 on: October 24, 2017, 08:45:25 AM »
The trains are terrible now.  If they run at all, then you battle to get on, the carriage is infested with pickpockets and the train often stops for 10 mins for no reason at all

It's super bad now!!!!!!!!!! Seen a video last week and a day later I seen it with my eyes. People hanging out the windows, sitting on top and an the front of the train, and the train is moving with them.  :o

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:49:31 AM by Gerlach »

Offline jeinnor

« Reply #1303 on: October 24, 2017, 02:27:31 PM »
It's super bad now!!!!!!!!!! Seen a video last week and a day later I seen it with my eyes. People hanging out the windows, sitting on top and an the front of the train, and the train is moving with them.  :o

WTF

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #1304 on: October 25, 2017, 08:18:45 AM »
Anything to avoid paying the fare it seems.  Why does the driver not refuse to go?  In Europe the driver would be prosecuted