Author Topic: Registration delay  (Read 8252 times)

Offline prodigal

Registration delay
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:33:25 AM »
Hi, my first post. I thought I should mention that the delay in registration (waiting for manual approval) is something I last saw in an online forum years ago.
I found you guys by a google search. Users such as me will often just move on to something else if they can't gain access to a site instantly.

Why not activate the visual image verification on the registration page to eliminate or at least limit fake reg's?

Thanks

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
Re: Registration delay
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
The simple answer is that captcha's are not 100% effective, and we had a couple of spammer successfully sign up. I don't have any hard numbers but pretty much all registrations are processed within 12h. On the other hand this is the first complaint about the procedure I've received. I am happy to turn it off and revert to the old process - any feedback would be appreciated.

Offline prodigal

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:36:47 PM »
No, it shouldn't bother me again...I'm registered now so should never have to deal with it.
I was just pointing out that the process may push new users away...with the internet flooded with millions of sites all offering the same services or information, webmasters usually do everything they can to make new users stick around for as long possible.
Because the user couldn't find what they were looking for when they took the time to register, they move on to go and find the information or other forums elsewhere...even when registration is granted within 12 hours, they no longer have the need to return as they've sourced elsewhere already.

Offline prodigal

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:44:36 PM »
Another thing, I never received a notification that my registration was accepted or approved or activated or whatever it is.

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 05:23:02 PM »
I think our forum has very specific appeal, if you want to go register on the likes of AVForums.com or Audioholics, you probably don't care enough to stick around here anyway. The lack of notification was my fault, as I explained in my email to you. I will make sure it does not happen again.

Offline prodigal

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 07:21:54 PM »
I think our forum has very specific appeal, if you want to go register on the likes of AVForums.com or Audioholics, you probably don't care enough to stick around here anyway.

Yeah, it's definitely not for the the average joe with an FM stereo :) I'm way out of my league here  :o

The lack of notification was my fault, as I explained in my email to you. I will make sure it does not happen again.

Yeah, thanks for letting me know.

Please take no offence to be starting this thread, it was in no way a whine, rather an observation.

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »
Not at all, I think it's a very valid comment - you are actually the first to bring up the subject so I am guessing there might be some quiet frustration going on that I wasn't aware of :)

Cleansound

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
Prodigal

I don't give a hoot, welcome boet  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Offline AV

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »
Kay, while we are busy changing your website, ;D how about a [HOME] and [FORUM] button at the bottom of each screen, I'm wearing out my mouse's scroll wheel :D

Thanks for everything

André
=STEREO RULES=                       www.maestro-audio.com

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 10:35:56 PM »
Kay, I think the way things are now is fine and agree that this forum appeals to those with a more than passing interest. I think it is a good stretegy to keep out those who want a quick question answered here or there. I dont think this forum caters to that sort of need. I see it more as a community of people, even if it is split & I think that half the members should be struck from the role. (Only kidding). It stops the takers from just comming to take, and makes it more likely that those that enter the forum are here to give back as well.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »
Kay, while we are busy changing your website, ;D how about a [HOME] and [FORUM] button at the bottom of each screen, I'm wearing out my mouse's scroll wheel :D

Kay

If you're gonna change anything, I vote for displaying members' location  in the normal thread view.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Family_Dog

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 06:44:48 PM »
Kay

If you're gonna change anything, I vote for displaying members' location  in the normal thread view.

Good idea! Always nice to know where other people are located.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 07:08:50 PM »
Thanks guys, shouldn't be too hard to do :) Anyone else have preferences one way or the other about how registration should be handled?

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 11:43:47 AM »
Yes,

Get the new "applicant" to complete a field outlining his equipment or preference. If there is any mention of fancy cables or squash balls, then he won't be accepted ;D ;D ;D ;D
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Cleansound

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 12:28:55 PM »
Yes,

Get the new "applicant" to complete a field outlining his equipment or preference. If there is any mention of fancy cables or squash balls, then he won't be accepted ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
On that note as well.
Do you build your own amps and if you have sold more than ten or you have started exporting then feel free to criticize the mega amp builders  ;) :D