Advice on purchasing new stereo amp

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3547

Reaction score
I'm a newbie on the forum, greetings everyone, hoping to get some advice or opinions on a new amp purchase pls.

Bit of a vinyl junkie and been running an Arcam Delta 290 integrated stereo amp for some time now with a tweaked Rega P2 on steroids, Sumiko Evo III and Musical Surroundings Phonostage.

The Arcam is dead. Problems with the Pre section / known issue with selector switch and humming sound / distortion on left channel. Tried various fixes believe me...

Trying to figure out what to do next, bit of a dilemma. I'm not Rockefeller, I'm the Other Fella, so budget a bit tight:

1) Got my eye on the Arcam FMJ A18, never heard it though, I just like the sound of mine. Fellow mates/audiophiles with more experience than myself have suggested that I may be disappointed as the Delta 290 is/was a very good amp in it's day. I'd need to spend allot more in today's terms to equal the performance. Also have no idea how this A18 performs, any advice would be appreciated.

2) I have a NAD C350 on its way to me from a family member that no longer uses it - I could use this as a PRE and the Arcam as a Power Amp, but still have the feeling that it might be less effective? More of a compromise than an upgrade?

3) Perhaps the NAD356BEE Integrated amp, but again I don't know NAD at all. And not sure if this amp will out perform the Arcam either. Its not like I can carry all my equipment to the local NAD dealer to sit and listen all day LOL!

4) The Valve Amps from Mr. Skalk seem to be mentioned often - never met the gentleman but know people that own one, or three (buggers). Bit too expensive for my pockets unless a good nick pre-owned comes along. Then I'm also told that Valve amps "in general" are "warm sounding" - I have no idea what "warm" sounds like.

Any ideas? Sorry for the long essay..

Thanks in advance..