Author Topic: Right! Andrew's Intelligent Question of the Day!  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Andrew

Right! Andrew's Intelligent Question of the Day!
« on: June 10, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »
So what do I ask for at the computer shop if I want to, for convenience sake, use a standard SATA HDD as a USB device - ie, a portable drive. I have a lot of info moving that I need to for for my media player, and the easiest way seems to be to put the current media player's HDD into some sort of cradle, connect it via USB to my PC, place new larger drive into media player, connect that to PC as well, and then do a straight drag 'n drop from one drive to the next, via the PC.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline Juggy

Re: Right! Andrew's Intelligent Question of the Day!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:17:57 AM »
Ask for an external chassis for a 3.5" drive. They're externally powered so you will need a wall socket nearby.

The 2.5" versions are usually powered over USB so they're much more convenient.

I bought one of these, supports 2.5 and 3.5" drives. You could leave on attached to your PC and one attached to your media player and move the drive from one to the other.

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/414
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:20:25 AM by JUGGY »

Offline Andrew

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:21:08 AM »
Tks! Will do so.

Offline naughty

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:54:03 PM »
USB takes ages to transfer files - if you can find one that accepts E-SATA and then get a raid card which supports E-SATA then it might make it quicker - i got my chassis at R299 each (bought three of those - i use one to connect to the media player and two to connect via E-SATA to the PC for transferring stuff from the large storage drives to the smaller playback drive) and got a raid card for R250 all from PC Zone

heres what im talking about

the chassis as well as pci raid card

i can easily connect via USB to the media player for media external drive playback but when im transferring data on the PC i connect with the E-SATA which is as fast as internal SATA for data transfer - and if you use something like an Oppo BDP 93/95 those have E-SATA connections as well

the problem with USB 3.0 is that you need USB 3.0 support on the mobo - and this is only available on state of the art current mobo's - so if your pc is basic or old you might need to also use an add on card for that too - and in this instance i preferred the E-SATA cos i had grandiose plans for an Oppo player but i have shelved those - but im still glad to have the faster E-SATA connections on the PC - you dont have to wait hours for a 30 gig bluray MKV to transfer between drives
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:00:44 PM by naughty »

Offline neilh

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:31:33 PM »
Or just get a media player that uses uPnP and setup a NAS. Dragging drives around to play files? What a ball ache

Offline Andrew

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »
USB takes ages to transfer files - if you can find one that accepts E-SATA and then get a raid card which supports E-SATA then it might make it quicker - i got my chassis at R299 each (bought three of those - i use one to connect to the media player and two to connect via E-SATA to the PC for transferring stuff from the large storage drives to the smaller playback drive) and got a raid card for R250 all from PC Zone

heres what im talking about

the chassis as well as pci raid card

i can easily connect via USB to the media player for media external drive playback but when im transferring data on the PC i connect with the E-SATA which is as fast as internal SATA for data transfer - and if you use something like an Oppo BDP 93/95 those have E-SATA connections as well

the problem with USB 3.0 is that you need USB 3.0 support on the mobo - and this is only available on state of the art current mobo's - so if your pc is basic or old you might need to also use an add on card for that too - and in this instance i preferred the E-SATA cos i had grandiose plans for an Oppo player but i have shelved those - but im still glad to have the faster E-SATA connections on the PC - you dont have to wait hours for a 30 gig bluray MKV to transfer between drives

Mercy, now you guys are talking beyond my IT IQ levels.... So this RAID card is like a graphics card - you buy it separate, plug it into your motherboard, then I could plug the media player and the external hard drive into it, and do transfers between the two via the card?

Offline neilh

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »
What media player are you using? Naughty's method just means a much quicker transfer rate between 2 devices

Offline Andrew

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »
I've got the TviX HD 1 Slim.

www.tvixbox.net

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:41:00 PM by AVSA Andrew »

Offline ara

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »
This is also a nice and simple one to use:

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/372

Offline naughty

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
Or just get a media player that uses uPnP and setup a NAS. Dragging drives around to play files? What a ball ache

well sometimes you might not be transferring those files from your own PC - not that i claim to do this but just saying  ;)

i might just experiment with the wireless and NAS options since i just got myself a mede8er MED500x but thats all going to depend on how smooth the wireless connection works - i personally would rather drag the drives around

im also considering using a 2,5" external because the shock absorption on the 3,5" stuff is non existent and when i have the drive plugged in via USB on the media player i get a few dropouts when the rack vibrates from the speaker sound (even with the sub at level 2 of 10) so basically i need something with better vibration absorption or i need to sort out that NAS story

Offline Andrew

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 03:31:36 PM »
Yeah, see I'm backing up the movies from the 1TB HDD currently in my media player, to the new HDD that is going to replace it. My PC's HDD is only about 400 GB, so to try and copy the films say ten or 20 at a time to the PC HDD, then onto the new HDD would be a nightmare. So my only option is go the route I've explained - get a chassis for the 2TB file, plug it into PC, plug media player into PC, then copy from one drive to the next. Will be slow, but it seems my only option. I'll look into the Raid card though, if my PC can handle it and it's not too expensive.

Offline AudioEngineer

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »
You don't need a RAID card for eSata on your PC. If you have available SATA slots on your motherboard all you need is a bracket with an eSata connector. The bracket connects the eSata connector to you SATA slot with a standard SATA cable and connector. See here: http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/product_info.php?cPath=61_274&products_id=9648
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. (Albert Einstein)

Offline naughty

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »
You don't need a RAID card for eSata on your PC. If you have available SATA slots on your motherboard all you need is a bracket with an eSata connector. The bracket connects the eSata connector to you SATA slot with a standard SATA cable and connector. See here: http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/product_info.php?cPath=61_274&products_id=9648

wish i saw those earlier - will probably get two or three of those anyway cos i still want more E-SATA ports ont he PC and now i have additional internal SATA ports on the raid card - so i can convert those into E-SATA as well

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 08:06:48 AM »
USB 3
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline AudioEngineer

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »
Only problem is that USB 3.0 is so new that it's not widely available yet, both on PCs and for external drives. Also, it comes with a bit of a price premium at the moment...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. (Albert Einstein)