Author Topic: Magnets  (Read 5897 times)

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
Re: Magnets
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 11:32:41 PM »
Was it Magnetech?

Something along that line.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 11:50:19 PM »
I was thinking one set at the top, one set in the middle and one set on the bottom.

Putting magnets on both the grill as well as embeded in the cabinet. This gets to 12 mags per speaker.

Would this be overkill? Would you only put in the embedded magnets? What would you use on the grill? R5 Coins? ;)

I would imagine with veneering and a safe bury depth that there would be 5mm between the one mag and the other surface(mag or simply ferous)

Comments Please :)

Tks for the tip Shaun - will call Magnatech on monday - they are about 5k's from me. Nothing on the web ATM, maybe I will offer to sort out their website in exchange for some mags ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:52:31 PM by Byrd2 »

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 10:59:31 AM »
I think once you get hold of those magnets you'll be able to make a better assessment. 5mm does seem to be a bit excessive. I would have placed them just below the veneer. I also think that you don't need another magnet, just a catch plate of sorts.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 12:10:18 AM »
5mm Just to be on the cautious side. Need +- 2mm under veneeer at least. And maybe the same on the other side. Will have to see about that.

Magenetech has much better pricing. R15 for a 22mm x 5mm item. Thats a 25% reduction over the other spot, and they are just around the corner. Will pop by and see them tomorrow.

Mmmm, think I might replace the mags on my seas ex's with Neodymium ones. What would you imagine the effect of that would be? :D

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 06:38:30 PM »
Went and had a look at the magnets. Bought 24 10mm Diam by 5 mm deep disks.

They hold themselves up through a 16mm board with the board being upright and the magetic field moving through the 16mm horizontaly, so I am sure 5mm will not be a prob. I found it interesting that the large diameter magnets did not really provide all that much more attraction force?. Much bigger difference were noted when the depth was increased.

Will post a pic a little later - got some lovin to do.

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 09:04:09 PM »
OK, the luvin was good thanks.

I have done some measurements which I think may be of interest to anybody else wanting to use magnets for mounting grills.

Using the 10mm * 5mm neodynium disks i wanted to find out what the "shearing" weight would be. I got a scale and experimented to find out what the maximum bearing weight would be for a ditance between the two magnetic surfaces. The following are the results.

Distance (mm)Max Weight (gms)

The magnets would travel between 4 & 6mm from place of rest before the "shear" would take place.

I measured the weight of the grills on my Jamo's which are relatively small. They come out & 80grams. I would image a standard grill could not be more than 200Gms, meaning that even if i used 4 pairs of these magnets @ 7mm distance that would still be double what I would require.

I am going to use 6 pairs anyway and I doubt that it would be as much as 7mm apart. More like 3 / 4. The reason for this excess is that that is what makes our hobby our hobby. Being excesive in excesis.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 09:07:14 PM by Byrd2 »

Offline Shonver

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 02:46:57 AM »
OK, the luvin was good thanks.

The reason for this excess is that that is what makes our hobby our hobby. Being excesive in excesis.

And "luvin" yourself inbetween...

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline The Godfather

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 09:25:39 AM »
LOL - Mmmm, whats Shaun doing awake at that time of the morning?

Offline chris

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 10:48:02 AM »

I am going to use 6 pairs anyway and I doubt that it would be as much as 7mm apart. More like 3 / 4. The reason for this excess is that that is what makes our hobby our hobby. Being excesive in excesis.

Some how I missed the thread. Glad you could find something. I do love the excess aswell ;D