Author Topic: Ubiquiti UniFi AP's and Apple Devices  (Read 861 times)

Offline resham

Ubiquiti UniFi AP's and Apple Devices
« on: January 16, 2022, 11:13:34 AM »

Hi all,

I have setup a Ubiquiti network, but the Apple devices don't seem to be working too well on this. Anyone here have similar issues, and any suggestions for some config tweaks on the UniFi controller that will optimise the setup for Apple ?

Thanks
Resh
www.imagica.co.za
AV Custom Installers

Online dekardy

Re: Ubiquiti UniFi AP's and Apple Devices
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 12:11:11 PM »
@resham I had a similar issue at home and out office wife.  Disabling "Auto-optimize Network" worked for me.  You can find this in the Unifi Controller under settings -> advanced features -> wifi ai.

Offline resham

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 02:48:30 PM »
@resham I had a similar issue at home and out office wife.  Disabling "Auto-optimize Network" worked for me.  You can find this in the Unifi Controller under settings -> advanced features -> wifi ai.

Thank you, yes it is already disabled...
www.imagica.co.za
AV Custom Installers

Online Sound_Hound_SA

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 03:11:38 PM »
Hi Resham

Whats the issue exactly ? How many APs do you have ?
Do the apple devices join successfully or not at all ?
www.stponline.co.za
We supply a variety of AV Equipment, ranging from KEF, NAD, Bluesound, PSB, Dali, Klipsch, Polk, Jamo, Optoma, Epson, Edifier, Rega, Pro-Ject, etc

Offline resham

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 03:22:10 PM »
3 AC Lite AP's that are new
2 LR AP's from an old controller that are left as is

Customer devices just automatically switch to LTE randomly...
www.imagica.co.za
AV Custom Installers

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 03:41:13 PM »
If the devices are leaving the network & joining mobile data it is normally becuase the wi-fi signal is too weak.

Disable Wi-Fi Assist on the devices.

Settings; Mobile Data; then scroll down past all the listed apps until you see Wi-Fi Assist. Disable it.

"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline d0dja

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 04:05:15 PM »
Wi-Fi Assist is one of the silliest things Apple has ever done, and it's a list of some gloriously silly things.

Why implement WiFi Assist (which is actually "failover to LTE at the drop of a hat") and not, say, polling WiFi signal strength of known networks periodically and automatically switch to the better one? Why hold on like grim death to the first AP joined no matter how weak the signal gets.  :headbanger: :headbanger:

Offline Juggy

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 04:36:34 PM »
Disable things like "High Performance Devices" which migrates devices to 5GHZ automatically. I find that some devices don't handle it well.

Also, disable Optimise IoT WIFI, Legacy Support, BSS Transition. In fact the only wifi Advanced setting I have enabled is "Fast Roaming" and I have no issues at all.

A colleague had similar issues to you and changed his settings to the same as mine and has a rock solid wifi network ever since.

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 04:40:12 PM »
Wi-Fi Assist is one of the silliest things Apple has ever done, and it's a list of some gloriously silly things.

Why implement WiFi Assist (which is actually "failover to LTE at the drop of a hat") and not, say, polling WiFi signal strength of known networks periodically and automatically switch to the better one? Why hold on like grim death to the first AP joined no matter how weak the signal gets.  :headbanger: :headbanger:

Agree regarding the Wif-Fi Assist. It's bloody daft.

But, all our devices swap seamlessly from each AP to the next, never any issue with them hanging on to an AP. Mix of iPhones & iPads from iPhone 6 to current and iPad Air 2 (I think) to current.

Also running a Ubiquiti (Amplifi) mesh system.
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Online Sound_Hound_SA

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 06:43:58 AM »
3 AC Lite AP's that are new
2 LR AP's from an old controller that are left as is

Customer devices just automatically switch to LTE randomly...

All APs should be part of the same controller, if they rhey are not consider resetting the LR APs and adopting them under the new controller. The reason is if they not part of the same controller but have the same ssid with the same password the controller will see them as outside aps/rogues. This means they will not roam between those aps
www.stponline.co.za
We supply a variety of AV Equipment, ranging from KEF, NAD, Bluesound, PSB, Dali, Klipsch, Polk, Jamo, Optoma, Epson, Edifier, Rega, Pro-Ject, etc

Offline resham

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 08:38:47 PM »
Thanks Gents for the advice. Most of the settings were already switched off.

@Sound_Hound_SA
Running a different SSID but once everything stabilised I will have to reset the old ones and consolidate them. Thanks !

Will try disabling the Wi-fi assist tomorrow and see how it goes.

Much appreciated
www.imagica.co.za
AV Custom Installers

Offline kolakidd

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 06:41:11 PM »
I had this issue a while back, changing the DTIM setting to 3 helped in that case.

I see now I have it set back to auto though.

https://community.ui.com/questions/Connectivity-issues-with-mostly-apple-devices/120edd69-6b9d-49cb-9664-9fec76afb09e?page=2