REL Strata III - Woofer Replacement

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_b

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Over the festive season I acquired a defective REL Strata III subwoofer, knowing full well it will take some TLC to get it working again. After a bit of diagnostics, turns out the Vifa woofer is causing the audible distortion and needs repairing or replacing. The plate amp is still in excellent condition with no sign of overheating or abuse.

I've sent the woofer in for repairs and the first attempt has unfortunately not been successful. I'm taking it back to the reputable repair guy to take another look, but in the interim I'd like to hear from the DIY community what options I have should the woofer not be salvagable. Is it viable to identify and fit another woofer? I've hunted around on the internet, but I'm finding it very difficult to find another suitable woofer probably due to my lack of knowledge in this department. Ultimately I need to know/decide if it's worth repairing or whether I should just abandon the project.

What I can say is while I've had it up and running, albeit in low volume, it's sounds like a brilliant sub... just so much tighter than the ported PSB 5i in my HT system.

Here are the tech specs for the Vifa woofer:

Vifa-M25-WO-48-8.png

Any advise would be more than appreciated.

Latest posts